Author Topic: 1986 Suburban Power Window Wiring Nightmare  (Read 13782 times)

Offline duluthfisherman

• New Users
1986 Suburban Power Window Wiring Nightmare
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:07 AM »
Just about at the end of my rope... Windows haven't worked yet, and have not been able to find controller for driver's-side anywhere. Unfortunately, previous owner was very (VERY) mechanically declined and decided to hot-wire windows, so now the wiring is a mess.

Compound that with the fact I live on an island off the coast of Alaska, and pretty sure there are NO old GM vehicles with power window switches/harnesses intact (I've looked), not sure what to do. I did find manual door setups for all four, but as you can see in the pic the Burban's body isn't too hard on the eyes (pristine by Alaska standards).

So, anybody know a good option to repair this mayhem? Actually, a decent wiring diagram dummed-down would even help. Thanks in advance.

Offline sameold

Re: 1986 Suburban Power Window Wiring Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:40 AM »
ITS EAsier for you to wire the switch and motor up to a relay. Thats what I am doing to mine because I have doors off a 1990 surburban  with power windows.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252315

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:43:12 AM »
     This topic should have been posted in the electric section.  But since I am here.
     You said the vehicle was a suburban, but forgot to mention what year it was.
     In the tech section, do a search in the search window at top right of page for wiring diagrams and it will pull up the complete 73-87 wiring diagrams (or just use the link I just added).
      Let up know if you need anything else after visiting the wiring diagrams.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »

AC Delco PT185 (GM 12101913)
    Go to the 10-cavity pigtails, page 30 (pg 32), in the AC Delco 2013 Wiring Pigtails and Sockets ID Guide
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
  • Chevy! My drug of choice!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
Here's a page that talks about rewiring with relays. Maybe it covers what you need. http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=27076.0;topicseen

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
ITS EAsier for you to wire the switch and motor up to a relay. Thats what I am doing to mine because I have doors off a 1990 surburban  with power windows.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252315

Sameold - FYI - The circuit you linked won't function as shown, because of an error in the ground path.  Truck window motors don't ground through their frames.  The motors function by reversing polarity on the tan and blue wire pair.  The tan and blue wires are the only electrical connections to the motors.  See the diagram posted by frotosride, shown in the thread linked by BADAZ.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline duluthfisherman

• New Users
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
Thank you all for the replies- I got the wiring squared away, and have diagnosed a short in the original 4-window switch. Any suggestions where to pick one of THOSE up? (I've checked Amazon, Ebay, and Dorman Products--still haven't found one). New or used, as long as it works and they ship to Alaska!

It's a 1986 K2500 High Sierra

Thanks again!