Author Topic: 350 starter wiring-need help!!!  (Read 49705 times)

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
    • 77 Chevy Stepside Restoration
350 starter wiring-need help!!!
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:45:17 PM »
When I took the engine out of my truck I was in a real hurry and did not pay attention to the wires I took off of the starter. I thought surely a book would tell me exactly how to re-wire it. NOT SO. Every schematic and post I have found here has not helped. So- the 10 gauge red with large hole connector obviously goes to the large post in the middle. I have two other wires. One is 16 gauge and using a continuity tester I found it goes to the instrument cluster lighting. This wire is so dirty and old I can't tell the color. May be purple or brown. The other wire is 12 gauge and brown. I have HEI ignition and a guy told me to forget about the 16 ga. brown or purple and connect the 12 or 14 ga to the block side small post. I really think the 3rd wire was connected to one of the small post but not sure which one. If you have a definitive schematic, send it. Otherwise, I really need to know where the wire I mentioned above that goes to the instument cluster connects. It must connect to the small post on the frame side or the block side. Help

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
77 350 starter wiring HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:59:53 PM »
I put this under the Technical section too so be patient with me because I am in a relal jam.
When I took the engine out of my truck I was in a real hurry and did not pay attention to the wires I took off of the starter. I thought surely a book would tell me exactly how to re-wire it. NOT SO. Every schematic and post I have found here has not helped. So- the 10 gauge red with large hole connector obviously goes to the large post in the middle. I have two other wires. One is 16 gauge and using a continuity tester I found it goes to the instrument cluster lighting. This wire is so dirty and old I can't tell the color. May be purple or brown. The other wire is 12 or 14 gauge and brown. I have HEI ignition and a guy told me to forget about the brown or purple and connect the 12 or 14 ga to the block side small post. I really think the 3rd wire (16 ga)was connected to one of the small posts but not sure which one. If you have a definitive schematic, send it. Otherwise, I really need to know where the wire 16 ga wire I mentioned above that goes to the instument cluster connects. It must connect to the small post on the frame side or the block side. Like a dummy, I think I cut that wire so it has no connector on the end to tell me if it was to connect to a small or large post. What is odd is that the wire is cut but no connector is on any post. Not sure what I did. It could be this wire was for a coil in the past but have no idea. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hotrod24

Re: 77 350 starter wiring HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
1980 1/2 ton shortbed project...
1978 pontiac grand prix...

Offline baddogg79

• Registered Users
Re: 350 starter wiring-need help!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
If I remember correctly, that guy is right. I originally had points dist, and had the same wiring. I read the directions for my powermaster starter and it said for hei dont use the brown wire. All you need it batt power and the small wire which is a 12V when the key is on the start position.

From powermaster site

"   

What do I do with the wire that went to the "R" terminal on the original starter?

In early original wiring harnesses, the "R" circuit was a ballast resistor bypass. This terminal is no connection when the starter is at rest, and is +12VDC while cranking.This circuit provided +12VDC to the ignition coil during cranking for easier engine starting. Cars that do not have a ballast resistor (i.e. HEI, MSD, or other aftermarket ignition systems) should not need this connection. In most cases, this wire can be eliminated."

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-starter.html

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:29:33 PM »
i dont know if this will help, but, on my 79, i took pics of everything when i took the engine out to install the 383 stroker so i'll know how to put everything back....

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:07:25 AM »
That's it!!. I also finally learned what the other wire is. As I said earlier, I cut that wire because it traveled through the heat shield tube. While hooking up my exhaust I notice a wire the same color sitting on the frame. Traced it and it turns out to be my fuel sending unit line. I am 60 so I tend to forget. Continuity test and tracing did lead me to either gauge lighting or fuel gauge in the instrument cluster. I ruled out fuel gauge "that can't be it coming from the starter". Turns out the wire had nothing to do with the starter just ran throught the same tube to get back to the tanks. At any rate, now I have the correct wiring for the starter and can connect up the other line today. Thanks

Offline 77chevystepside

• Registered Users
  • 77 Chevy Stepside 4X4
Re: 350 starter wiring-need help!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
He was right. Turns out the wire in the harness was the fuel gauge wire. I found the wire coming form the tanks next to the frame and now have it connected. I had forgotten I cut the wire to pull the engine because I didn't want to remove the heat shied tube that carried the wires until I got the engine in the air. Thanks