Author Topic: How to install Push Button Ignition??  (Read 25104 times)

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
  • Dallas, TX Daily Driver
How to install Push Button Ignition??
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
Just finished rebuilding the steering column. Now the ignition switch won't spring back. Haven't even fired up the engine yet, but I figured the starter is just going to keep spinning and grind with the flywheel. I'm done with messing with the steering column, and would just like to take the easy way out and Install a push start button. Can you guys tell me what I'll need and how to wire it up?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline hobbz

• Registered Users
Re: How to install Push Button Ignition??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:03:08 PM »
Are you doing away with the key all together or just the start position?
1987 Chevy R10 Short/Step -  350/th350
Build Thread

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

This is a question that needs to be answered first.  In order to put a push button in, you are going to have to bypass the switch.  Which can be done, but you will lose the other functions of the switch like the acc position.
      It might be worth the effort to find someone to help you with the switch, sometimes we get to a stall point, when a new set of eye's is required to help us past our stall position.  You know we as humans can get our brains stuck in 1 mode of thought processes, and it is hard for us to bypass our own thought processes sometimes.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »

This is a question that needs to be answered first.  In order to put a push button in, you are going to have to bypass the switch.  Which can be done, but you will lose the other functions of the switch like the acc position.
      It might be worth the effort to find someone to help you with the switch, sometimes we get to a stall point, when a new set of eye's is required to help us past our stall position.  You know we as humans can get our brains stuck in 1 mode of thought processes, and it is hard for us to bypass our own thought processes sometimes.

Yea I would like for it to be the start only
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline hobbz

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:44:25 AM »
Basically you would just remove the start wire(goes out to starter) from the harness on the column, run it to one side of the push button, and run the other side of the button to a 12 volt supply(should be keyed) which is also on the connector on the column.

I just got done doing an entire wiring harness on my truck and have the pinouts up in the garage.  I will get them for you later if noone else posts them by then.
Build Thread

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
Basically you would just remove the start wire(goes out to starter) from the harness on the column, run it to one side of the push button, and run the other side of the button to a 12 volt supply(should be keyed) which is also on the connector on the column.

I just got done doing an entire wiring harness on my truck and have the pinouts up in the garage.  I will get them for you later if noone else posts them by then.

Is the start wire the one that connects to the S terminal on the starter?

What do you mean by it "should be keyed"?

And when your saying harness/connector are you referring to the ignition switch?

Thanks

Offline hobbz

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »

I'm talking about the plug on the column near the brake pedal.

You want the push button on keyed 12v so you have to have the key in the on position before you can push the button to spin the starter.
Build Thread

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »

I'm talking about the plug on the column near the brake pedal.

You want the push button on keyed 12v so you have to have the key in the on position before you can push the button to spin the starter.

So let me get this straight. I rip out the purple wire(start wire according to your pin out) from the ignition switch, run a wire from that to one side of the push button, and then run another wire from a keyed 12 volt supply to the other side of the push button?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:08:15 PM by boulky12 »

Offline hobbz

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
Yup
Build Thread

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
Yup

Cool. What kind of wire and Push button would you recommend?

Offline hobbz

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
Not much current goes thru the button, all it does is pull in the solenoid on the starter. I think the factory wire is 10 or 12 guage. I would just use the same size. As far as a button, find one you like, as long as it is rated for at least 5 amps or so, it will work.

The little starter test buttons you buy at the auto stores have like 14 guage wire and a small button than can't be rated for much.
Build Thread

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Not much current goes thru the button, all it does is pull in the solenoid on the starter. I think the factory wire is 10 or 12 guage. I would just use the same size. As far as a button, find one you like, as long as it is rated for at least 5 amps or so, it will work.

The little starter test buttons you buy at the auto stores have like 14 guage wire and a small button than can't be rated for much.

Awesome. Thanks for all your help hobbz

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »
not to be devil's advocate but by time you rig up the starter button you can tear your column apart and fix it right. when you say the ignition spring wont spring back do you mean the key is stuck or it will move to all placed just not spring back from start?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »
not to be devil's advocate but by time you rig up the starter button you can tear your column apart and fix it right. when you say the ignition spring wont spring back do you mean the key is stuck or it will move to all placed just not spring back from start?

More than likely the push rod/return rod is sticking.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:51 PM »
thats what i was thinking. i know mine would stick but after using it it freed itself
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes