Author Topic: rear upper shock bolt  (Read 6979 times)

Offline SuburbanHunter

rear upper shock bolt
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »
I have a 77 K10 "Heavy 1/2" (4 shocks on each corner). I need a new rear upper shock bolt for the rear shock. I ordered one from summit but apparently there are 2 different lengths. The one I got sticks out from the frame 2 1/2" and won't allow me to slide the shock on all the way. I need one that sticks out 3" from the frame to provide clearance for the shock spring. (I have pictures if anyone wants to see).

I called the Chevy dealer and they can't even look up anything older than 1990. So they can't even give me a part number to look up.

Does anyone know where I can get the longer shock bolt? or have a part number?

Thanks!

Offline enaberif

Re: rear upper shock bolt
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
Just go to a bolt store and buy one. Grade 8 preferably but 5 will work. A bolt is just a bolt

Offline SuburbanHunter

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »
Thanks enaberif, it isn't a bolt. It looks like this

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »
Substitute a 5/8" grade-8 NF bolt, or similar sized shoulder bolt of the appropriate length (measure the shock eye diameter and required offset from the frame to verify the needed bolt diameter and length), and then fabricate a spacer to fit between the shock absorber eye and frame rail.  Anchor the bolt to the frame using hardened washers and torque-prevailing grade-8 nuts.  Carefully inspect around the shock pin hole through the frame for starburst and sub-concentric cracks.  Cracks demand repair before continuing, since moving the shock mount further away from the frame face will grossly increase the leverage applied to the rail via the added pin length, exacerbating tin-canning of the rail and development/propagation of cracks.  Hence, you will need to fabricate brackets that support the free (outer) end of the upper shock pins to diminish the added stress focused onto the rail faces.  A rear upper shock support bracket is commercially available for square body trucks, but may not provide suitable axial support for your particular application.

Edit:
Of course, there is always a caveat.  Substituting a straight bolt for the shouldered shock pin (your image) as suggested makes it difficult to control preload on the rubber (or urethane) shock eye bushings.  The shoulder pin is designed to limit compression of the bushings as the outer nut seats against the shoulder of the pin.  While the larger inner nut can be tightened to much higher torque, clamping the pin securely to the frame.  The 'bolt' scenario is not an optimum solution.  Controlling bushing preload is another reason the outer end of the 'bolt' needs to be supported, so the upper shock mount is firmly caged to the frame.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:05:44 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline outlaw70nova

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
I've seen these in the HELP section at my local parts stores. You might try there.

Offline enaberif

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
Thanks enaberif, it isn't a bolt. It looks like this

"Shock Stud" not bolt.

Offline SuburbanHunter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
yeah my bad...