Author Topic: Mechanical Fuel Pump Boss  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Doppleganger

Mechanical Fuel Pump Boss
« on: July 12, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Been looking for that random, yet existing vortec block with the block off plate to use a mechanical fuel pump. I've got a Q-Jet all redone and would prefer a mechanical pump over an electric one.

Local yard has a few vortec blocks.....but on only one did I see a plate. The rest looked like this:

This doesn't look like the cast blank that requires the million dollar jig to mill out. What do any of you fellas make of it?

As always, TIA

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Boss
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
I would put an in tank fuel pump and an inline fuel pressure regulator.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Doppleganger

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:06:52 AM »
Seems the ones like my pic are not drilled out. There's one at the yard with a plate so will check that out.

I'm using a mechanical pump thats easy to service - dont want anything electric with a regulator, etc.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »
what vortec block are you looking for? true votecs started in the mid 90s and would require something like 60 lbs of fuel pressure, not sure if a mechanical pump would do this. so are you just looking for a tbi motor (87-95)? or am i forgetting or showing my ignorance to the vortec motors?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline talan1979

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
no a manically driven pump wont put out the pressure you need u might have to go with a electric pump or your going to have problems with power and speed