Author Topic: I think I messed up... Installed new battery  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Patman

I think I messed up... Installed new battery
« on: July 21, 2018, 12:44:43 PM »
Howdy folks,

Well, Im trying to trouble shoot a fuel issue (dual fuel tanks, not getting fuel and fuel gauge is pegged to the far right) and as I was getting started I realized that I needed a new battery. So, I get me a new battery and install it. As I was placing the leads on the terminals I noticed that a puff of white smoke came from behind or above the distributor. I had my leads swapped, they only touched for a few seconds, but long enough to hear a humming noise with a small puff of smoke from the corner of my eye.  I believe that it was the washer motor or relay that gave me the smoke. I did not have the keys in it when I was doing this, for the record. Anyways, I have verified that I am not getting spark (pulled a spark plug to see if it’d arc while starting and no deal) I verified that the coil is good, the two plugs that go into the cap seem fine, nothing burned. It turns over and I spray starter fluid into the front barrels and it just turns, no firing at all, nothing.

Any suggestions?
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: I think I messed up... Installed new battery
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 01:03:33 PM »
Replace the melted 6" long fusible link connected to the firewall junction block located above the left valve cover.  Be sure to use the correct gauge link for the wiring it protects:  How to make a Fusible Link.  You can find the factory wiring manual specific to your truck in the Technical Section of the forum.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Patman

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
You sir, are THE MAN! Im off to the tool shed...

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
Be sure to use only fusible wire to replace the melted link.  Fusible wire has a high strand count for superior flexibility and is jacketed in Hypalon high-temperature insulation.  It serves as the primary circuit protection for the main power bus and is four gauge sizes smaller in girth (numerically greater) than the wiring it protects.  Don't substitute any other type of wire or bump the gauge size.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Patman

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »
Napa had the wire with the permanent in line fuse. THe stock wiring had two wires coming into an enclosed plastic tube with one wire (the fuseable wirie) coming out to terminate on the small junction box thing on the firewall above the drivers side valve cover. I was able to splice the new fuseable wire into the  the two red (I’m guessing ignition wires) and she was able to start right up, using starter fluid that is.

Now that I’ve exhausted my mental and financial resources (both are limited in nature) I’ve cleaned up my mess and will be resting for the remainder of the day. Considering that Im in the high desert, it’s a tad warm and Im beat.

Thanks again for all of your help bd. Couldn’t have sorted this out without ya!