Author Topic: Whole Truck in Raptor  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Mike81K10

Re: Whole Truck in Raptor
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »
It is coming together very nice, inside and out. It was mentioned to black out behind the three ports on your door panels. You can simply place some black felt or other material on the back side of your panels with adhesive. Looks like it will be a nice ride with some good power.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Whole Truck in Raptor
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
Thanks for saying. Yeah, I’ve got a bunch of perf-aluminum. Sometime in the coming week I’ll spray some black and stick it behind the door panels. Coming soon is the rear bumper mounted as well.

Both will add a nice layer.

Everyone stay healthy and safe

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:57:44 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
I wasn’t ever that happy with the way the hood came out. I’m not sure what I did or didn’t do, but the blotchiness I had hoped would dry out and go away never did. So I sanded it and re-shot it today. It’s a thousand times better:

Compared to:

And to suit popular demand and my own aesthetics, and since I was already back in paint mode:

That’s the perf metal for behind the “portholes”... once it’s dry enough I’ll shear four pieces out of it and see if that’s enough or if I need to just paint that part of the door black. Hopefully I can get that update tomorrow.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay sane!!!

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
Yep... everyone that weighed in was totally right!!!:

I’m happy with the texture the perf metal gives. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m open to others, but they better be GOOD suggestions... you’ve set the bar high!!!

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »
Yeah BABY that's the ticket!  8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
I got the bumper hung as well. I had debated narrowing it and kinda wished I had done so now.

The light was not in my favor for good photography.

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »
I painted the fuel tank skid guard in raptor:

This was one of few places where I used the included raptor liner gun.

For a truck bed liner, the texture is great.

For a gas tank skid plate it’s fine as well.

I’m really glad I did HVLP on the exterior of the truck.

That finish would be a bit much there. Honestly, the HVLP finish was right on the edge of MY concept of acceptable.

I can report that raptor liner, fairly well cured and sprayed via HVLP was unaffected by the gasoline I poured all over it today.

Be safe, stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline IdahoMan

• Registered Users
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2023, 03:10:33 AM »
Alright Jeremy, what's the 3+ year report?

Do you keep it garaged?
How's it holding up?
Any fade/discoloration?
Any points of weakness/failure/rust?
Got a close-up of some of the edges?
When placing back on mirrors/trim/roof-lights/antenna, ect. can you get a good "seal" against the texture?

Very nice looking truck. Those of you that have the ability and space to do these kinds of projects, kudos.

I'm in the process of trying to find someone local to do my truck (either the bottom rockers or the whole thing) with a liner and have the color match. There are two people locally I am looking at (Line-X is out of the question), one is offering Speedliner and the other Raptor.

Thanks!

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2023, 08:57:00 AM »
So... the three year feedback.

The truck has spent most of the last three years outside. The Raptor has held up perfectly well... where I did a good job to begin with. There is some rust that obviously I didn't treat well enough that has reappeared.

No fading, no discoloration.

It's holding up quite well. That said, I wouldn't do it again.

As durable as the coating appears to be, and even sprayed in a way to get the smoothest finish, it's still a bedliner-product, designed to be a rough finish, and as such it just grabs every piece of dirt anywhere proximate to the truck. It comes clean... well enough, but dirt doesn't just run off like it would with a smooth paint surface.

I would consider the rockers, but would advise against doing the full vehicle... unless your desired result is to have something a little "Mad Max-ish". From closer than 15 feet or so it's very obvious that the truck isn't painted with proper paint. I'm in a metropolitan area, so we've definitely got dirtier rain, it shows.

Be safe

Jeremy