Author Topic: Horn Unplugged????  (Read 2593 times)

Offline derrick79

Horn Unplugged????
« on: April 01, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
For whatever reason, the previous owner unplugged the horn in my 76 3/4 ton. I mentioned that my horn didn't work to an old automotive trades instructor quite some time ago. He told me to check to see if its unplugged, guys will unplug them if...... because...... and i don't remember the reason (of coarse). I was away from home at the time so I couldn't check it. Now I have totally forgotten about it until now. I am replacing the battery cables so I will plug it back in and see what happens. Anyone have any idea what the old timer may have said or any theories of your own?

Thanks

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: Horn Unplugged????
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
Once in a while if I get out of my truck when I have our dog with me he will stand on the seat with his paws on the steering wheel making the horn blow. That is if he is done snoogering all the windows.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline 78chevystepside

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
It possibly could have a short somewhere in your horn circuit that could have been draining the battery. Instead of isolating the short it was probably easier to unplug the horn to stop the parasitic drain. Who knows though, thats just a possibility. You should be able to rule this out with a DMM pretty quickly once its hooked up.
1978 Chevy C10 Stepside

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:47:15 PM »
It possibly could have a short somewhere in your horn circuit that could have been draining the battery. Instead of isolating the short it was probably easier to unplug the horn to stop the parasitic drain. Who knows though, thats just a possibility. You should be able to rule this out with a DMM pretty quickly once its hooked up.
     x2 on that idea, mine was that way when I bought it, just traced the short and fixed it.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline devanray

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
Once in a while if I get out of my truck when I have our dog with me he will stand on the seat with his paws on the steering wheel making the horn blow. That is if he is done snoogering all the windows.

ROFL  :D "snoogering the windows"  :D
"Before removing any bolts, read through the entire procedure."