Author Topic: Stepside or fleetside?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline lownuff

• @lownuff
Stepside or fleetside?
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »
Hey guys so I'm looking for some opinions. The truck will be bagged if that helps your choice.

Basically I've got two beds and one has to go. I have a stepside and a fleetside, both short. I like them both, and honestly if I could, I'd keep them both and swap around but that's not possible.

Which would you choose and why?

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Stepside or fleetside?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »
Keep what makes you happy.  Personally I like fleetside if given the choice.  Sucks to have a problem as yours.  I happily take your fleetside off your hands if you choose the stepper
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:31:01 AM »
What year is the truck? Simple solution is to buy another truck that needs a bed and have two.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RossVE

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:30:38 AM »
Personally,I've always preferred the fleetside but  that's just me. I've never bagged a truck so I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems to me that you may be able to get lower with a cleaner looking truck using the fleetside bed if that's what you are after. But either way you won't go wrong.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
I like the Stepside if you have a 73-79 with round headlights

Fleet side looks better to me if you have square headlights

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:22:01 AM »
im not a fan of the step side. idk of its the overall look as much as the fact you cant put as much stuff in a stepside (like a sheet of metal 4x8). my neighbor has a 93ish short bed step side that has a 4.3 4x4 and manual trans. i love it and its for sale. but i have a 94 sort bed fleet side with a 4.3 but its only 2wd. i would buy his truck in a heartbeat i think mainly because its a manual and 4x4 but i wouldnt be sure what to do with the step side. according to kbb the step sides have less of a value on resale also.

so i guess its more of what you plan on using it for. if you need to go to the hardware store to get plywood or a sheet of metal then you might have to bring a trailer but then you could also build a long bed fleet side as a sheet of metal fits it just fits.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
I like the Stepside if you have a 73-79 with round headlights

Fleet side looks better to me if you have square headlights

80 had round headlights too.

the fact you cant put as much stuff in a stepside (like a sheet of metal 4x8)

I think you broke your tape measure. Approx 50"x 80" inside dimensions on the short bed. Lay the tailgate down and a full sheet of plywood fits just fine, long bed, gate closed, no problem. You gain some cargo space around the wheel wells with the fleetside of course.

Stepsides are more stylish and fancy. I've often contemplated swapping my 74 bed to make it a stepside. Both styles are awesome
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 06:16:55 PM »
shows you how much ive messed with them lol. i know on the 94 fleet side a sheet of metal just fits between the wheel wells and for some reason i was thinking there was less room but i guess its just an optical illusion to me
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes