Author Topic: Rebuilding the NP208 Transfercase  (Read 31295 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

Rebuilding the NP208 Transfercase
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:03:41 PM »
Rebuilding the NP208 Transfercase

Any guides or how to articles with pictures for this?

Anyone ever rebuilt one of these?  Complicated?  Do you need any special tools to disassemble components re-install components?

Is there a rebuild kit available?

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Rebuilding the NP208 Transfercase
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
Transtar is where I have bought rebuild kits for my 208s. I am sure any decent auto parts store could get you one. The only thing I didn't have was a puller for a couple of the bearings. There are some needle bearings pressed into the case. You need a puller that goes down through them, when its turned it has little tabs that slide under the bearing. Then you pull them with a slide hammer. They are actually pretty simple. I got a book from Transtart to but even if I hadn't I probably would have been OK.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »
Here's a question...

Does the tranny fluid in the PN208 transfercase and the 700R4 transmission circulate between the two components?

The reason I ask is I've had my 700R4 rebuilt but not the transfercase yet, but if they share fluid then it would be a waste of time to install a transfercase with worn metal particles in the bottom of the case with a clean, rebuilt transmission.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and have my Tranny Guy, Dana Sniff rebuild the transfercase, just don't want to take it out again down the road unless I'm installing something bigger, badder and stronger and with a divorced driveline to the transmission.  (I would be changing the transmission too).

Anyone know the answer to the above question?

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:49:36 PM »
They do not share fluid as they are both sealed units. I can post the overhaul procedures if you'd like when I get home (workin late)
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
I am sure I will get bashed for this. A buddy of mine that rebuilds, transfer cases, automatic transmissions. Another guy I know who does transmisions, motors, all kinds of repairs, and a local trans shop all told me to ditch the ATF in a 208 and run motor oil instead.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »
Why did they tell you to do that Blazin?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
They do not share fluid as they are both sealed units. I can post the overhaul procedures if you'd like when I get home (workin late)

Naw, at this time I'm going to replace the front and rear seals and install it and run it.  Maybe down the road.

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 12:11:35 AM »
I am sure I will get bashed for this. A buddy of mine that rebuilds, transfer cases, automatic transmissions. Another guy I know who does transmisions, motors, all kinds of repairs, and a local trans shop all told me to ditch the ATF in a 208 and run motor oil instead.

This guy that rebuilt mine told me just today to run Dextron/Mercon in my transmission and the transfercase.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »
You are supposed to run DEX in the transfercase. I don't know why those guys told blazin to run motor oil.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
Ditto, not sure what the reason was for using motor oil....  I attached some exploded views of the NP208...