Author Topic: WARN hub install question  (Read 3301 times)

Offline rich weyand

WARN hub install question
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
I got the WARN hubs in, removed the axle retaining ring and the outer locking ring, and pulled the remains of the Wolverine.  Installed the WARN hub, replaced the axle retaining ring, BUT I can't get the outer locking ring to seat.  It's like the WARN hub is just slightly too thick or something.  The hub is hard up against the end of the bearing tube (that the spindle nuts thread on to), so it can't go on any farther, but I will be dipped if I can get that ring to seat.

Is there a trick to this?
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline rich weyand

Re: WARN hub install question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
I talked to WARN customer service.  Very helpful.

Apparently they skinnied up the spindle nuts to get their big honking hubs in there.  The thing is half again as thick ans weighs at least twice as much as the cheap ones that were in there.

Decided to do it myself.  Waiting on the spindle nut wrench, which should be here tomorrow.
Rich

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
Just shows to go ya....

Went back and checked the WARN box the hubs came in, and there were new locking rings, half as wide as the ones that were in there.  Self-inflicted problem.  Those locking rings fit in just fine.  Duh.

Hubs all swapped.  Test drove.  They work great in FREE and LOCK.  They have such a nice feel to them, compared to the old cheap ones.  I guess you only get what you pay for.
Rich

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »
     So in the Warn hub box they had 2 sets of locking rings ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
Yup, both the smaller axle-end locking ring (with the holes in the ends for spring-clip pliers), and the big outer hub retainer locking ring.  Two of each.  I had wondered why they gave me the inner set and not the outer, but they were not in the parts bag with the smaller axle-end rings and the screws, and I didn't originally see them under the oil paper the (pre-greased) hubs were sitting on.
Rich

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »
Did you get the premium hubs or the standard? The premium hubs are the best hub I've ever used. I had one set of MM's and wasn't thrilled. They were on my Scout. They never would turn easily no matter how many times I removed and worked on them. I put Warn premiums on all my Jeeps over the years, on my Ford pickups too.

Never mind. I just saw your original post. It looks like someone needed parts for the now defunct Wolverine hubs so they took one of yours.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:39:13 PM by Greybeard »
I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
Actually, I think the screws just worked loose and the darned thing exited the vehicle while driving.  Checking the screws is now a periodic maintenance item, though I suppose I could put some thread lock on them.
Rich