Author Topic: ignition switch  (Read 14054 times)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
ignition switch
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »
my switch just broke and i was looking at what was all involved in swapping it out on these and it looks you basically take the cover off the column and swap out the switch.  is it really this simple?  i changed one on a metro once and there was just a little more too it.

this is for an 85 k10.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:44:33 PM »
Do you want to change the switch? Or do you want to change the lock cylinder? What's it doing? The rack is probably broken.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »
the lock cylinder is broke.  it always has been hard to turn since i've owned the truck and then it recently started to stick in the "start" position on me.  today i went to start her up and it totally snapped and the positions are all off and now i don't even have a "start" position. 

i take it to the furthest position, lights up the dash lights and just has that annoying buzzing continously.  also i can't take it all the way back to the "lock" positon as it stops a little short of that and no "acc".  the only other thing is the last position before it stops short of the lock line is the radio powers on.  this is all without the key.  the key in doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other. 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »
Sounds like it's the rack assembly, not the lock cylinder.

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
never heard of it.  so what is exactly the easiest way to correct this and what part do i need to pick up?

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »
how do you access and change the rack assembly?  i tore apart the column today and picked up a new lock cylinder as well, and it is doing the same thing.  it will not line up with the lock line position on the plastic column cover once i have inserted the key to allow me to turn the cylinder and line it up with the little metal rectangle piece that goes in the end of the lock cylinder. it does not let me go into in the start position as well, where it would normally spring back once i was done cranking.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »
Did you verify that's what it needs? When you turn the key does the rod move the ignition switch accordingly? If not the rack and sector are broken. If it moves correctly the issue is most likely the switch. The most common problem with the key cylinder is a lost key or it won't turn or the key will fall out. If you are replacing the lock cylinder, what position do you have the key in when you removed and reinstalled it?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »
i went to start it the other day and i heard something "snap" and then the farthest i could take the key was the "on"position.  i could not take it to the "start" position to crank the vehicle at all.  it was always hard to crank down on it, and now something broke and you can't get it to that position at all.  o purchased a new lock cylinder and when i install it, the cylinder does the same thing when off and is misaligned with the "lock" line on the column.  just as the old cylinder was, AFTER it broke.

i can also add that when it was still working and hard to crank, there was a slight delay from when the truck would actually start cranking.  i also have an auto gear selector and tilt to deal with on the column.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:29:18 PM by cwilson jr »

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 07:18:57 AM »
By most your description...I agree with Vile, the "rack" likely broke. You need to check as he was asking, do you see the rod on the top side of the column, is it moving up & down while you work the key? You may want to take out the bolts that mount the column to the dash to get more room.
 If the rack is broken, you need to remove the wheel, turn signal switch, lock plate, ignition switch & the lock cylinder. Fish the rod on the "rack", line up the gear correctly & reinstall everything. Good Luck...If you need further help, just ask, Lorne 

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
i have everything off/out except the turn signal which it seems like you have to disconnect the wires to release that large white plastic piece which is still held in there by all the wires and there is no harness clip.  it looks like i would have to remove the gear selector as well?  i don't know.  not seeing a way though.  i also don't see anything to remove the actual turn signal lever/stalk.  i cannot locate the actual ignition switch as well. 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Just pull the stalk straight out in the off position. Unscrew the hazard button, remove the signal switch screws and the stalk actuator lever screw. Just pull it up and out of the way. Remove the canceling cam and lock plate. Is this a tilt column?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
yes, tilt column with gear selector as well.

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
i pulled the stalk out, but there is still the assembly that holds the stalk in the way.  it is mounted by some kind of pins.  i have included some pics of this and the overall plastic piece that prevents me from pulling the column cover off as well.

(well, it turns out my pics are two large for posting.)  if someone can downsize them i can email them to you.  thanks)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:22:47 PM by cwilson jr »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:15:18 PM »
You can easily resize your own images. Here's a free program that works great. click here or just upload them to photobucket.com and resize them.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline cwilson jr

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »
here's the large white piece that's connected to the wiring.