Author Topic: Turn signal lever/ switch replacement  (Read 6431 times)

Offline aramnolan

• New Users
Turn signal lever/ switch replacement
« on: September 20, 2008, 07:57:32 PM »
First of all I'd like to say my 1980 chevy is awesome no matter how rusty it is they dont make em like they used to.

Well I recently snapped off my turn signal lever and cracked the switch so It won't engage when I turn right. I ordered a lever and a new switch. I also have a manual telling me how to replace them however it is not very descriptive at all. does anyone have any tips. I'm trying to do sesearch so I dont screw it up wile my parts are on order. Thanks.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Turn signal lever/ switch replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:46:25 AM »
Pull the wheel, disconnect the connector at the base of the column. Wrap the connector and the wires with tape in a fashion that will allow the connector to slide up the column longitudinally. hook a piece of mechanics wire around the connector also so you can fish the new one down. unbolt the signal lever actuator, bolts, hazard, slide it out. Hook the new one on to your mechancis wire and fish it back down. Have fun!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline aramnolan

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
Pull the wheel, disconnect the connector at the base of the column. Wrap the connector and the wires with tape in a fashion that will allow the connector to slide up the column longitudinally. hook a piece of mechanics wire around the connector also so you can fish the new one down. unbolt the signal lever actuator, bolts, hazard, slide it out. Hook the new one on to your mechancis wire and fish it back down. Have fun!

Well hopefully I dont have to replace the entire switch and I can glue the peice I cracked off. I can see it through the hole where the lever pivots and see where it's broken hopefully I can get by with a new lever. Does the lever bolt directly onto the switch?

Offline unbludictable

• Registered Users
  • Low Down Blu
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »
I hope you get the right part! I had problems with my '76 GMC turn signal switch. All my lights fashed when signaled left or right! I bought a turn signal switch from Auto Zone, but it would not connect with my wire harness!! :'( So the mechanic ordered the orginal part from  , it didn't fit. Ordered a pigtail connector from Auto Zone, it didn't fit. My cousin gave me a full steering column w/steering wheel, it would not work! By now I am pissed! He had to take the wire harness, turn signal switch to Auto Zone and they finally found a part that fit!! He puts it on, but my truck would only click. He takes my starter off and tells me to take it O'reilly, they check it and it's perfect! I took my starter back to the mechanic and that's where I am TODAY! Waiting!! Oh, it's a tilt steering wheel!! So BE Careful!! Sorry for the long post!!! I had to get that off my chest!!