Author Topic: Horn Reinstall Questions...83' C10 Stepper  (Read 17009 times)

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
Horn Reinstall Questions...83' C10 Stepper
« on: October 22, 2008, 08:06:28 AM »
I've searched through some older posts and can't find a clear answer to my question.  Bear with me, I know this has probably been asked time and time again...

I had a faulty turn signal switch that needed to be swapped out.  In addition to that, my cancelling cam was improperly rotate causing the turn signals not to cancel and the steering wheel be out of rotation.  To fix all this, I removed the steering wheel, lockplate, and cancelling cam, swapped out the new turn signal switch, properly reinstalled the cam and lockplate and steering wheel...and that's where I draw a blank.

I can't remember the installation order of a few of the horn components.

This pic below was saved from classicparts.com and is for a 69-72 C10, but I've got all the same components.  I've edited it in Photoshop to coincide with the numbers below.  Let me know if I'm using any improper terms.

1. Horn Contact Kit (sits in the cancelling cam) - What is the linear order of placement of the contact kit (including spring, contact shaft, and retaining sleeve/bung) into the cancelling cam?  Spring first, then shaft, then sleeve?  Shaft first, then spring, then sleeve? Etc.

2. Belleville Spring (slightly curved washer that contacts horn contact kit; below shiny cup in pic) - What is the proper orientation of this piece? Convex up or concave down?  Does it sit directly on the bottom of the steering wheel cup?

3. Plastic 3-leg Spacer - Where does this go?  Does this go between the Belleville Spring (#2) and the Cup (#4) or on top the Cup?

4. Cup - I remember this being the first thing I saw when I removed the steering wheel horn button and I know the screws are visible in there.  I can't remember if the Plastic 3-leg Spacer (#3) sat above or below this cup.

Right now the horn honks as it's own decision whenever I try to drive the truck and turn the steering wheel.  My order of assembly was as follows...
#1 - Spring, shaft, sleeve
#2 - Convex up (I think?)
#4 with #3 on top and screwed through.

I couldn't tighten the screws all the way down or it would honk constantly.  So I had to leave them a little loose and then the steering wheel horn button fit sloppy.  I've read in some of the previous posts that these should be snugged down.  I'm hoping that my order of installation is what's preventing me from doing this.

Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated.

3. Plastic
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:08:13 AM by silvrbreez »

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
Re: Horn Reinstall Questions...83' C10 Stepper
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »
Guys,

I think I might be close to answering my own question.

I did an image search for "GM STEERING COLUMN DIAGRAM" which led me to the following link of a Fiero steering column rebuild...
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

About 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down that page it shows the orientation of the turn signal switch and cancelling cam just confirming that I have that in right.  Although it's a later model Chevy column, it shows that the Horn Contact Kit (#1) goes in with the order of spring, shaft, sleeve.

I also looked in a really old service manual a coworker has laying around (60's series stuff), "Motor's Auto Repair Manual, 1967, 30th Edition", and read that the other components should be installed in the order of Belleville spring convex up (#2), Cup (#4), and Plastic 3-leg Spacer (#3).

Now, with all that being said, I think I had everything reinstalled correctly but will triple check tonight.

Moving forward, I'm thinking the reason my horn is constantly going off at it's own decision is most likely due to the Belleville Spring being slighly less convex that original.  This would cause the horn contact kit to most of the time contact the Belleville spring, grounding out the horn and causing it to go off.  This could have happened during my removal and reinstallation.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:59:16 AM by silvrbreez »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
we have a couple steering rebuilt links in the technical forum here:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1947.0

It should be 1 - 2 - 4.  You don't need 3.
It sounds like you are grounding out.  I would flip #2 over if you are not sure how it came off.

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »
The heads on my screws aren't big enough to hold down #2 and #4 without using #3.  I think I do need it, unless I have the wrong screws.  Mine are actually Torx head screws and they may actually be a little too long.  Hmmm?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
if yours already had #3  then you should use it.  I missread your post.

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »
It's all good.  Thanks for chiming in and I'll try flipping the Belleville Spring this evening.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »
It needs to be isolated away so that when you depress the button it grounds the wire to the horn relay. Make sure the plastic inserts insulate the ring.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
Thanks guys for the help.  It appears that with a little massaging, I can make the Belleville spring work again.

Let's keep it rolling...new can of worms uncovered... ???

You old pros should understand what I'm about to describe.

Looking at the shaft I realized the column is about 60 degrees out of rotation.  Here's what I'm seeing...

The column shaft that the steering wheel sits on is fully splined where the wheel seats on it.  Below that fully splined section there is an "inversed splined" section with what appears to be grooves at each of the hour positions on the clock minus 1.  In order for the cancelling cam to sit in the turn signal switch so that it operates properly, the missing groove needs to be at the 12:00 position.  This will also allow the lockplate teeth to seat the grooves correctly, lockplate to fit over the cancelling cam, and allow the horn contact kit to protrude the steering wheel in the right spot and the steering wheel to be aligned all nice and pretty.  All that should happen with the wheels pointed straight forward.  Sound right?

With my wheels pointed straight as I can get them, my column is rotated about 60 degrees clockwise so that the missing groove for the lockplate teeth is at approximately the 2:00 position.  This alignment doesn't let me place the cancelling cam in the right spot within the turn signal switch and also makes my steering wheel look all jacked up and out of position when it's reinstalled.  It was like this when I bought it.  I can rotate the column shaft to make the grooves align properly so everything works, but doing this turns the wheels and the wheel would have to be turned back to the jacked up position to drive in a straight line.  Doing that will still cause problems with the cancelling cam working properly.

My question is, what must I do to rotate the shaft the 60 degrees so that the wheels won't also turn in the process?

Would the easiest way be to straighten the tires, remove the Pitman arm from the steering box spline, rotate the shaft to the proper position using the steering wheel, then reinstall the Pitman arm onto the steering box shaft?

Thanks again guys for being so gentle with another newbie.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:53:06 PM by silvrbreez »

Offline gmtech2

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:04:48 PM »
get that all situated then if your steering wheel is off center you adjust that with the pitman arm adjusting sleeve that is the only purpose of that adjustment it will not effect your front end alignment. sounds to me like your pitman arm just needs adjusted to your steering wheel is straight and you will be good to go

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »
Does this procedure describe what you are talking about?

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:Q3pvkFpX6scJ:www.mcarw.com/automotivesrepair/Steering-Repair/20071129/794.html+%22pitman+arm+adjustment%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

Are you referring to the tie rod adjustment sleeves or is there a part called the Pitman arm adjusting sleeve?

Offline gmtech2

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:46:23 PM »
pitman arm adjusting sleeve

Offline gbskunk2006

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:30:57 AM »
silvrbreez,

This is where taking some snapshots during the disassembly is invaluable :)

I had to take apart my steering column to replace several components topping everything off with a new Grant steering wheel.  Luckily I had takes some photo's and made some notes as well.

In your case, I would try going to your local GM\Chevy Dealer check out the Parts Dept.  They may be able to pull up a detailed parts diagram for you.

Good Luck.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6879.0
86 GMC C15, 4.3 Litre V6, TH400
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=6879.0
90 Toyota SR5 4X4 Ext Cab V6 5 speed
99 Toyota Solara SLE

Offline gmtech2

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
yeah let me know if you need something like that i am a tech at the Local GM dealership i have access to all SI (service Information) unfortunately they dont have these old trucks on the online Service info so i have to look up everything in the old books but i do have most of the 73-87 original GM service manuals!! Lucky me

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.

I've pretty much gotten the reassembly stuff settled.  I realized my Belleville Spring is shot now though.  After I removed it, I never realized it was cupped and placed it under something else.  No more cup means no more worky.  Got a new one on the way.

My only problem now is trying to straighten out the wheel.  I'm going to look more into the Pitman arm adjusting sleeve procedure.  If you've got anything you could pass along for that, maybe a walk-through, if you have time would be great.

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »
Only info I can find on Pitman arm adjusting sleeves is for 4x4 and is referred to as the drag link.  I'm 2wd and don't recognize anything attached to the Pitman arm that looks like it can b be adjusted.