Author Topic: Horn Reinstall Questions...83' C10 Stepper  (Read 17011 times)

Offline gmtech2

Re: Horn Reinstall Questions...83' C10 Stepper
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 08:41:21 AM »
sorry i read wrong i thought you had a 4 wheel drive. the only way to adjust steering wheel position on a two wheel drive is to adjust your toe with your tie rod ends, if you adjust them  both the same amount you wont affect your alignment. if your steering wheel is off to the right like 2 o clock then you would adjust the right front toe out and the left front toe in. just make sure you go the same number of turns on both sides and it will bring your steering wheel straight. I E go a few turns on the tie rods then turn your tires so they are going  straight and check your steering wheel. if its not quite there go a few more and check. see how that works for you and let us know.

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »
Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Any reason to worry that adjusting the tie-rods so much to correct the wheel would take away from my ability and/or magnitude of correction later at the tie-rods?  The tie-rod adjusting sleeves appear to be placed pretty well center right now and I'm worrying that screwing each too much in one direction would take away my ability to adjust toe in either extreme case later.  Any need to worry there.

I'm thinking maybe this is something that needs to be adjusted from the top of the power steering box up and maybe leave the steering alone from the steering box down.  What would you suggest above the box, on the shaft in the engine bay, to possibly loosen and rotate to correct the wheel.  Can anything be done there?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
Just get an alignment. Incorrect toe in will wear your tires the fastest.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 10:14:29 AM »
Ditto on the above.  If everything is not centered, get an alignment on it.  Your tires will thank you and so will your wallet.

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »
I hear you guys, but the truck tracks straight and true so long as the steering wheel is rotated to 2:00.  The tires don't appear to be wearing unevenly at all.  I really believe this is something wacky with the shaft.  I just don't want to get an alignment just for the purposes of correcting the steering wheel, and then loose my range of adjustability later if I really do have an alignment problem.

Offline gmtech2

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
part of an alignment is adjusting the steering wheel so it is straight when going down the road. so if your worried about adjusting to make it straight the best solution would be to take it to a shop and explain that you want your steering wheel straight and centered along with checking toe in most shops wont charge the full rate if they don't have to screw with caster and camber but it will be checked when adjusting toe i agree with vile your alignment is important for proper tire wear.

Offline silvrbreez

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
Thanks guys for bearing with me.  Its apparent I'm more concerned then I should be.