Author Topic: custom steering wheel  (Read 4935 times)

Offline 84shortbed

custom steering wheel
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:02:54 AM »
My 84 has the original wheel and unfortunatly it gets in the way of my gut. I figured going to a smaller diameter wheel would help untill i can afford a titl column. I just don`t want to get a wheel that is so small it looks out of place. What are you guys using?
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline Dragon

Re: custom steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:20:09 AM »
Hey Anthony,
 This should give you a few ideas, and a bit of info to be aware of....
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=9466.0
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »
Hey Anthony,
 This should give you a few ideas, and a bit of info to be aware of....
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=9466.0

Thanks for the link. i read it but it seemed directed at using a stock Gm wheel from other vehicles. I was talking more of like a grant wheel  or any other aftermarket set ups.
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline Unofficial

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
I have a Grant steering wheel in my '87 and I think it goes well with these trucks. It was easy to install too. It's part #1175.

Here's a link on summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRT%2D1175&N=700+115&autoview=sku

1987 Custom Deluxe R10
350 TBI bored .040 over
700r4 with a Transgo shift kit
MSD ignition
Long tube headers w/ true duals
Upgraded sound system w/ subwoofer

Offline Dragon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:54:36 AM »
Thanks for the link. i read it but it seemed directed at using a stock Gm wheel from other vehicles. I was talking more of like a grant wheel  or any other aftermarket set ups.
Sorry bout that, I was figuring you were on a budget more towards a Factory Style Wheel.....  Anyways, the info one the size differences is also valid towards any replacement wheel....  Just want to give you the heads up with it, as I know its not really something one conciders when going for a new wheel(Especially if the truck is 4WD, as apposed to a 2WD model).....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:58:47 AM »
I have a Grant steering wheel in my '87 and I think it goes well with these trucks. It was easy to install too. It's part #1175.

Here's a link on summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GRT%2D1175&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That does look good in there. It`s a little to high priced for me but these are the type of pics I was looking for. Thanks.
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 11:01:39 AM »
Sorry bout that, I was figuring you were on a budget more towards a Factory Style Wheel.....  Anyways, the info one the size differences is also valid towards any replacement wheel....  Just want to give you the heads up with it, as I know its not really something one conciders when going for a new wheel(Especially if the truck is 4WD, as apposed to a 2WD model).....

No worries. I liked the info I got from the link. I do like thos sport truck wheels but i`m not sure I would be accomplishing what I need. my stock wheel is too big in diameter and I can`t afford a tilt column yet so changing to a smallet diameter wheel is the cheapest route. I also have a 92 chevy truck seat to go in and I`ve mocked it up and it sits a little lower but I also positioned it a little further back than the stock seat and it will give me a bit more room once I get it fully installed.
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
Just go to Autozone and you can get a grant wheel for $40 bucks. Just make sure you buy the correct adapter
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 84shortbed

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
The problem with the $40 wheels at autozone is I don`t like the style of them. I`m actually looking into the chevy sport truck wheel.
Anthony
83 chevy short fleetside
OTR gearjammer