Author Topic: Removing Stock Factory Exhaust Manifolds for shorty headers?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Ed4all10

Hello all. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find exactly  what I was looking for in the search.  :) I’m helping my nephew fix up his 86 k10 with a factory 305. Since he just got his license, budget is an issue. He wants to install a header back exhaust with shorty headers, so that when he saves up for a 350, he can keep the exhaust on the truck. I have 3 questions:

1. Any tricks on getting the stock exhaust manifolds off? I.e heat, penetrant, etc?

2. What to do with the air pump lines after removing the stock manifold? If memory serves, there are 2 on the pass side, and 1on the drivers. Where would be the best place to plug them, or cut them off? He already removed the belt that is driving the air pump I believe, so no air is flowing through them.

3. Would shortys even be worth it on a 305 with 85k miles on it? I have only ever dealt with long tubes on my 85, so I assume the fitment is still a chore.

Thank you very much!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:25:21 PM by Ed4all10 »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Removing Stock Factory Exhaust Manifolds for shorty headers?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:00:34 AM »
Penetrating oil is good. I would suggest take pics, unbolt everything and crate it up. Some people want the factory smog stuff so it has resale value or if you ever decide to sell the truck you can sell it with the original parts. Shorty's are fine and you will notice an improvement in performance over the stock manifolds but if it's going into the factory cat, single exhaust it won't be much....
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 07:04:45 AM »
I just replaced heads on my 350, so I had to remove the exhaust manifolds.  It all came apart well, but I made the mistake of using an impact wrench and 12 point socket, and it rounded off one of the stubborn bolt heads.   Just get a six point socket and make sure its fully on the bolt, and then use a breaker bar so have better feel of the tightness. 

When I reinstalled them I had to use a manifold spreader tool on one side to get all the bolts lined up.  The directions suggested installing the tool before you take the manifold off, since it may relieve pressure from misaligned holes.  The tool was about $15 (I think) at NAPA.

I've seen several articles that say shorties aren't worth the trouble when long tubes will fit.  However, I also know how restrictive those stock manifolds are.  It seems worthwhile from a power perspective if you can get them cheap enough, but I would seriously consider if its worth the labor.   I put exhaust work in the same labor category as digging holes in the yard.  Somebody needs to do it, but I prefer it to be someone other than me.

I don't have an air pump on my '75, but if you remove the exhaust manifolds it seems like the entire air system should also come off.  It just sucks in air and pushes it to the manifolds, so without stock manifolds there is no place for the air to go.

Bruce

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »
Thank you both! He got shorties for about 125 bucks off eBay, and they are already coated. He is going to run them to a thrush dual system with an X pipe. Thanks again!

Offline Patman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
How did you get that front bolt off on the passanger side? I cant get a socket to sit on it. Not enough side clearance for the socket to seat on the nut.

Assuming you still have all of the smog stuff on yours...
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
The front bolt on the manifold? I used a wrench.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 04:40:04 AM »
Well, it's probably too late now, but my opinion:

1) If budget is an issue then why not stick with the stock manifolds.........................for now at least..........

2) What do his parents have to say about all this?

3) If budget is an issue, then he waits to save up until buying anything AND he doesn't buy anything until he also has the same amount to INVEST.  Example, new 350 costs $1800 or so.   He only buys the 350 when he also invests the same amount (could be stocks, but we'll get into that in another thread..........).   He always does this.

4) Why shorty headers vs. conventional headers?

i don't really like headers on the street due to:  Too noisy, too leaky, too hot.   Although these issues may have been better resolved since i last drove a car with headers.

Why not consider the later model "vortec" / corvette exhaust manifolds;  Some advantages of headers in a stock manifold.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:21:48 AM »
There are plenty of dyno comparisons between short and long tube headers. Often shorty's provide less obstruction, tighter exhaust fitment, and even better end results. Cheap long tubes rust, are noisy and typically leak due to cracking, weak flanges or improper header/exhaust installation. Nothing wrong with a set of shorty's

BTW, who cares what his parents think? His uncle is cool and is the one helping him become a manly man
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:38:38 PM »
Sorry for the late response. His parents are actually thrilled that he was able to buy a vehicle for under 700 bucks.(with decent tires/brakes!) He has put A little money into the truck so far. Besides headers and exhaust, most of the work has been just resealing oil pan, valve covers, etc and replacing ignition system. He even installed a new fuel pump and oil pump. The best part is that he is doing it all himself and learning.  I try not to jump in and help him right away either. I’ll try to post pics in that part of the forum next time I see his rig. Thank you all again for the help!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:45:35 PM by Ed4all10 »