Author Topic: ballsy tranny swap-th400 to sm465  (Read 2893 times)

Offline 98purpleformula

• New Users
ballsy tranny swap-th400 to sm465
« on: January 04, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
I just picked up a 1985 chevy c30 with a 350 and a  (I believe) th400 3 spd, I am going to swap it with an sm465 and am finding very little info about it, and am in the learning process.  I need all the info possible, I know i will need to change the flywheel, clutch, clutch linkage, pedal, clutch fluid res., tranny, .....Here's my main concerns:

1.Driveshaft-will i need to get a new one/get the current one lengthened or shortened?
2.Input/output shafts-basically, what do i need to know?
3.Bellhousing-will i need a new one, and what kind?
4.Crossmember and mounts-what do I need to do?

Like I said, I'm learning as I go and am well aware of the obsurdity of this swap, so any other info i need, please share, or if theres a step-by-step manual or something, just anything yall can help me with.

Thanks and God bless...

Offline 77bowtie

Re: ballsy tranny swap-th400 to sm465
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
Man a year ago I was doing the opposite pulling out the m-465 tranny and put in a th-400. I had to lengthen my drive shaft by 1-3/3"-2". You will need a bell housing, flywheel,complete clutch assembly, pedals(brake & clutch). I had to adapt a crossmember from my donner truck to fit my truck. I don't envy you the work your going to have to do, to get what you want. It was "fun" enough for me going the other way...Good Luck..Jon