Author Topic: shocks  (Read 3982 times)

Offline 80stepside

shocks
« on: January 06, 2003, 03:58:00 PM »
what kind of shocks does everyone here like?
thinking of using trail master
im running dual shocks on all 4 corners
thanks

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »
Dual on all four?  Whatever you go with be sure the shocks you buy are intended for dual application.  Remember the purpose of running multiple shocks is to help prevent shock fade.  By splitting the load between two shocks less heat is generated in each of the shocks.  Less heat, less fade.  I personally wouldn't run dual shocks unless I was planning a race accross the desert on washboard roads.  So, consider what kind of driving you will be doing before you spend your money on four extra shocks.  When I bought my '77 K10 it had a dual shocks on all four.  None of which were intended for dual application.  Rough ride!  I put single pro-comps on all four and have been happy with them.  I tried for eddelbroks, but, got the run-around with backorders.  Then Ranchos, but, was misled with part numbers.  So, "go procomp".  Which reminds me...I have a set of Ranchos...RS9000...bought for a 77 K10...for a 4" lift...brand new.  I think they run about $250. I'll sell them for $150 plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: shocks
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »
Maybe he's bulding a retro-to-late 80s/early 90s show truck?  They were all about shocks!  If you didn't have at least 4 at each corner, all with some neon-colored boots, man your truck was junk then!  Don't forget the chrome leaf springs...

Just remember to do your homework on the different levels of ProComp Shocks...  I had a set of 9000s on the back of my S-10.  It rode like a Cadillac with a full bed and they stabilized the body sway from having a ladder rack, but if I didn't have a good load on them...they felt like I had rigid suspension!  Way too much shock for that truck.

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com
Maker of 43 point turns!

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
shocks
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 12:33:00 AM »
Oh yeah.  Procomp still offers all the "cool" colors.  Uh...black please.  two of the duel shocks on my truck were polished chrome and the others old ranchos.  They must have been the first set they ever made!  The chrome went straight in the dumpster.

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: shocks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 04:04:00 PM »
Yeah, I spray painted mine as soon as I put them on and they were just white shocks with the ProComp blue boots.  Black!

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com
Maker of 43 point turns!

Offline 80stepside

shocks
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »
the pickup had dual front shocks from the factory,the rear shocks the original owner converted to duals,im thinking of keeping the fronts and going single on the rears,i  dont really put anything in the bed so im not worried about fading in the back.