Author Topic: New guy from Lenexa, KS.  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Pringle

New guy from Lenexa, KS.
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
Hello guys! My name is Jared. I've recently had the opportunity to add a 1977 Chevy C10 to my fleet. Now a fleet of 2. :P

My grandfather's passing a couple of weeks ago was a very emotional endeavor for my family, but I wanted something i could remember him by every single day. I left my hometown of Covington, TN with several items to accomplish this, but my favorite is his 1977 Chevy C10.

There wasn't much debate when it came to the truck. Not nearly as much as there was when it came to his 1963 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron "CoachWork" :O Apparently my grandfather left it to my uncle long before he got sick. Oh well. I know it's going to a good home.

When I was a kid, I can remember, my grandfather and I would ride around town in this truck. We took it everywhere. It's been beaten, driven, dinged and dented. But I love it.

The truck is currently still in my hometown, awaiting a title. Transportation for the truck has already been arranged. Will be trailer-ed back to Lenexa, KS. Over 500 miles and 9 hours. 

It's kind of nice that I ended up with it. I'm the only "Car guy" in my family that wouldn't mind driving an old truck, and I plan to drive it.

So. All that being said.. I must confess. I've never driven anything this old. The oldest vehicle I've driven is a 1994. Not sure how well this is going to work.

I do sell auto parts for a living, but I know nothing about a carburetor, float, jets, etc etc. Except that they are parts i can sell. :P

I plan to;
1. Get it running! Truck hasn't been started in a few years. My co-worker said to fix the obvious things first, then let it run through a few tanks of gas before trying to diagnose too many issues. I know it needs a coolant hose that goes into the firewall.
2. Fix the rust. Already have a friend with a welder lined up.
3. Paint. Keeping it original Black.
4. Interior. Keeping it original Red.
5. Suspension. I do want to do a drop on the truck. Just to take some slack out of the wheel arches.
6. DAILY! I want to be able to daily this truck. 365 days.

I do want to ask if there is anything I should know going into this project? Any tips or tricks to driving these older trucks. I've seen and heard about pumping the accelerator prior to starting... I don't know these things. Lol.

Anyway.
Thanks in advance.
-Jared

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: New guy from Lenexa, KS.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:04:14 AM »
Welcome Jared. Our condolences to your family. We are glad you have become a member of our family. May your membership here be beneficial and enjoyable.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:18:48 AM »
Welcome from NW Indiana
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »
Welcome from Maryland
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes