Author Topic: Limited slip differential  (Read 4830 times)

Offline ajdmello

Limited slip differential
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
Ok so I bought a couple parts trucks to source parts from for my build. So i pulled the first diff cover off and found open differentials  I pulled the secound cover off and found what I believe to be limited slip but i found a couple problems with it. first i want to make sure that the hole below the bolt that holds that main 1inch pin in is supposed to be there?  To me it looks like it wore through? Second who ever was in here before me broke the bolt off that holds the center pin in any ideas how to get that out? I need to pull the axel shafts out to replace the seals.

First time using taptalk hope the pics show up

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:33:43 AM by ajdmello »

Offline TGPJr

• Joined April 2009
    • Album Pictures at
Re: Limited slip differential
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
Looks tome you need to start drilling.
Ideally, if you have left handed drill bits.
TGP
"77" Chevy K 30 Dually 400Ci,THM 400 4.56 NoSpin
"84" Chevy K 30 Dually 6BTA, THM 400 3.73 NoSpin
"86" Chevy M1028A2 Dually 6.2 400 4.56 NoSpin
"64" Chevy C 80 Tandem Dump, 427Ci 5X3
"47 Dodge "WDX" Power Wagon NoSpin

Offline ajdmello

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
TGP
Yea thats kind of what i was thinking to just hoping not lol. Its broke after the threads i tried a magnet but no luck.

I wonder if they put limited slips in at the factory? Or is this aftermarket? Can i rebuilt it? I know they do wear out after some time not sure if this one worked or how to check it without being in a truck...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
Sometimes you can spin them out with a pick tool.  If not http://www.etoolcart.com/fabbri-differential-pinion-shaft-lock-bolt-extractor-kit.aspx

Search the forum for Gov-lock or G80 for more threads about this unit

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline ajdmello

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
Sometimes you can spin them out with a pick tool.  If not http://www.etoolcart.com/fabbri-differential-pinion-shaft-lock-bolt-extractor-kit.aspx

Search the forum for Gov-lock or G80 for more threads about this unit
Ok sweet thanks never would have guessed they make a special tool for it! Yes i did do some more looking around about the gov-lock after i asked lots of good info on here about them. But what about what appears to be a hole in the second pic? Will that be ok?

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
TGP
Yea thats kind of what i was thinking to just hoping not lol. Its broke after the threads i tried a magnet but no luck.

I wonder if they put limited slips in at the factory? Or is this aftermarket? Can i rebuilt it? I know they do wear out after some time not sure if this one worked or how to check it without being in a truck...

As for a rebuild. ..save your time and money! That's a factory installed LSD (aka: gov-locker/gmexploder)gm 10 bolt 8.5. Taking one apart requires a lot of patience and attention to detail plus they are not very reliable once they have a lot of age on them. Granted the one I just replaced lasted just shy of 30 years.  The issue isn't the clutches or spider gears or even the ring and pinion. It's the carrier it's self. Mine cracked on the passenger side allowing the passenger axle side gear to miss align and break every tooth off except 2 which were fractured. If you plan on babying the axle then give it a shot but then there wouldn't be much need in a LSD at that point.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline ajdmello

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
Yea thats what i found out after doing some searching. Ill probably just use it for now hopefully it will last till I can afford another aftermarket one. I found one think its call a truetrack or something like that was around 400 bucks plus id have to pay to get it put in since i dont know how to set them up seen a coupke youtube videos but idk.