Author Topic: Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.  (Read 21923 times)

Offline Spool

Re: Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »
Thanks for that BD. I'll proceed comparing the two shoes you mentioned earlier- I'm leaning towards the Raybestos though..

I'm having trouble finding someone to measure these drums. (Customer service ain't what it used to be... I'm met with a lot of 'ummmmms....')

I've tried Autozone, TriStar and Pepboys. First two said no and Pepboys told me I could drop them off and then come back hours later, which I thought was kind of silly.
Also called a shop nearby but their customer service was also in the ummmm realm.

I'll continue to find a solution for this though- hopefully by the end of the day.

When I mentioned it wasn't exactly ideal, it's because I have to pay for UBER to get there and back which is $20 each way plus the weight of the drums in some stranger's trunk.
That's why I was thinking why not just buy a 12'' caliper for $20.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:04:59 PM by Spool »

Offline Spool

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2021, 12:29:43 AM »
Pepboys agreed to measure the drums if I arrive first thing in the morning which is great.

For the brake kit, I was looking at Classic Industries until I realized Summit had everything in one place.

For shoes, the Rabestos BD recommended:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-248pg?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x2Er0quA8y9HgB5rtjQp5XXN6MHA0W0r9_p2t2gcQpaNjMsT8aT3zRoClfAQAvD_BwE

I like Summit, they got cheap lock nut tab rings I could throw in too:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-33480?rrec=true

Hardware kits made by Raybestos to match:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-h7018/make/chevrolet/model/c20-pickup/year/1973

E-brake hardware as well:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/agb-h2508/make/chevrolet/model/c20-pickup/year/1973

For Wheel Cylinders there's no Raybestos, but there's two types of Dormans... $12 and $25- why the difference?:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/wheel-cylinders/year/1973/make/chevrolet/model/c20-pickup?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=wheel%20cylinders&kr=wheel%20cylinders

Pretty sure this covers me hardware-wise.

Thanks for DOT 3/DOT 4 explanation, BD.

Only other big thing is the Diff Oil. 75W140 best?
This is new terrain for me as well, which I'll address after I rebuild the new brakes- I suppose I can just top it off for now and learn how to change it properly later? The guy who changed my oil last week ($60, different shop I've been going to for years) said he'd do it for $85... I said no thanks as I knew this job was coming up.
(Looking super murky in there when it drained out of the axel.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:31:20 AM by Spool »

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2021, 04:41:57 AM »
80w90 GL5
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Spool

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2021, 09:01:11 AM »
80w90 GL5
You’re the best. Thanks Vile.

Offline Spool

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
Almost forgot.
When taking the drums off I had the outer ring, tabs, and inner ring for both sides.
Except I had this forth piece on the drivers side only- what is it, and do I need to buy one for the passenger side?

Offline Spool

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »
Pepboys say the drums are good.
Two measurements up top are for the passenger side and two measurements on the bottom are for the drivers side.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »
Those measurements are not right. On the picture of your drum it has a maximum discard size cast into it that says 286.0 mm. that is 11.259 inches which your right drum far exceeds. The printed sheet you show with measurements circled is for 11 inch brakes. You have 11 5/32 drums which are standard on 3/4 ton trucks. 

Offline Spool

Squeaky Drum Brakes & A Terrible Mechanic.
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2021, 12:14:35 PM »
Not right? I watched him measure them- he’s just making numbers up?

The sheet was printed after I told him it’s a 73 c20 rwd 350 14bolt diff.

If he’s wrong and the mechanic is wrong, then who is right?

I’m also extremely confused why the mechanic machines new drums in the first place...

Thus, if the measurements are correct, but the paper for 11” is incorrect, it still stands that I then also need new drums as well...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:29:15 PM by Spool »

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2021, 12:39:49 PM »
Seeing as the machinist went to THREE decimals on the second measurement and only TWO on the first, it's possible that there's a '1' missing from the top numbers, meaning they are 11.182/11.184 which would be much closer to the other side. If it was truly 11.82/11.84 I don't think there would be much drum or if any.

Offline Spool

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »
Good eye, Texas.
This learning curve is getting the best of me today.

What would the diameter be on new drums? 11 5/32 = 11.156?
And then they wear down wider from there making them discard at 11.259?

Offline Spool

« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
Just called them back and spoke with the mechanic who took these notes while another measured.

He says, yeah I forgot the 1 in 11._82 but his confidence seemed as strong as a kid caught stealing.

Offline MIKE S

• Registered Users
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »
Still his max standard is wrong. He doesn't even have your drum size listed on the sheet. If he did not mount them in a brake lathe and spin them, you will not know if they are out of round.  You need to go back and find someone that does brakes like a larger truck brake and wheel shop that has the tools and knowledge. Drum brakes are not the easiest to machine. Especially the type you have. You have to remove the inside bearing and seal and use centers on the inside race and the outside bearing. when you mount them on a brake lathe I have se people overtighten them and they will not be centered and they will actually cut an out of roundness into them. Also you mentioned that you could not remove the outer bearing. if you look from the back there is a snap ring that holds the bearing race in and it is pressed up against it. You would remove that snap ring and press the bearing and race in from the front to remove. Also your drum is held on to the hub by all the studs. If you need to remove the drum you need to press out all the studs and make sure the mating surface on the hub is clean and rust free or when mounting the drum will be crooked and act out of round

Offline Spool

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2021, 01:27:30 PM »
So, my time today was wasted and I need to find another mechanic in hopes that he can do his job correctly... This is becoming a bad comedy.

Seriously, at this point... I'd rather buy new drums, take it to (and try a third mechanic) to press my hub into the new drums.

I've waited till today before buying the Raybestos shoes to make sure they'd fit in the drum...
I'm just gonna buy the parts and shoes I listed in post #121 to at least get them in the mail.

I don't have the time, money, or patience to be getting into UBERs with my drums in plastic buckets to have mechanics do a halfway job.
What is the quickest and best way to solve this? New drums and then have someone press the bearing and hubs into it?

What's the worse cast scenario? I install new shoes, cylinder and hardware with the drums I have no to find they're not round and I'm back to square one?

I literally started this thread with, I'll do my best to keep my emotions out of this- but this is really wearing me down at this point.
All I needed was a transmission service in December and here I am 4 months later learning brakes on the fly so I can properly drive my truck again. (End of rant.)

I appreciate you all and I'm extremely grateful for your time, knowledge and patience.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:30:24 PM by Spool »

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2021, 03:24:14 PM »
I wouldn't be trusting pep boys to measure anything. Just pop new drums on at this point. You can drive the studs in and out yourself, it's pretty easy to do.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Spool

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2021, 03:45:48 PM »
Thank Vile. I'm shopping for new drums now, which I'll confirm here before purchasing.

Please let me know if anything comes to mind- I'm searching Raybestos as that's the brand I'm pretty much sticking with for everything except the wheel cylinder.
(Summit didn't have a wheel cylinder made by Raybestos that fit my truck.)

Also, what tools am I gonna now need to remove my hub and press it back into the wheel? I was under the impression this is a job for a certified 'mechanic.'