Author Topic: 89 GMC V2500 Burb WONT BURNOUT.  (Read 27535 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
Re: 89 GMC V2500 Burb WONT BURNOUT.
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
Quote from: 1979C20
The timing is sat at 0° with the EST wire unplugged. I just did the Ultimate TBI mod, made the FPR adjustable and have it set at 13-13.5 psi a few days ago

HUH??

Chuck all that junk, get a MSD Pro-Billet ready to run distributor, a good coil and wires and make some power.

0o timing? I really do not understand computerized engines.

Regardless, it still has advance weights in the distributor or no? If so make certain they work, if not....
If so, get someone close that's very good with distributor curves and have them recurve it for it for you. This requires some electronic gear that most folks can't afford. Or it can be done by trial and error by throwing different combinations of springs and weight weights in it till one works the best. I personally think the professional route is much easier. If the ECU does it then can it be flashed? I've heard some can and some can't. I really don't know myself.

Might have to ditch the gutless TBI as well. And go with an aftermarket Multi-point system. If not then a good MAS as an upgrade?

TBI's are so restricting on what can be done inexpensively. All the mods you have done will probably not amount to much if any real gain until you can convince the ECU they are good things.

Manifolds into a y-pipe into a muffler? No cat? What is the engine using to gauge the fuel mixture? That is the point of the ox-sensor in combination with all the other sensors. That is still present ? The truck will run SOOO much better if you reinstall a cat and ditch the muffler instead...it will sound good too. Just removing the cat will cause everything to go haywire. The system needs to work as a system. If one cog of a system fails the entire team falters. Sorry for all the mixed metaphors. As far as I know these still use the ECU to control the basics like spark advance, fuel timing, mixture, and other things. It was all pretty rudimentary in those dark ages however. Most of the ECU functions had subcontrols (my terminology) built into the vacuum system as switches. The basic programming in the ECU couldn't run a child's toy by itself back then. On my 86 Blazer (still had the carbed engine) I tried removing all that crap and ended up with a boat anchor in the engine compartment. Putting all the generals men back together again is possible but not on my wanting to do list. So I sold it to a buddy with full disclosure of the atrocities I had done. He said it would be a lesson for his teenage son to get all back together. They drove the bucket of rust for another five years before it nearly fell apart under them. 

I am what I am and I ain't no more!

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
EST stands for Electronic Spark Timing, which works with the ESC in the distributor, Electronic Spark Control. There are no weights in the distributor, it is all controlled by the computer. I do.have an O2 sensor, it is in the y pipe in the factory location, all it is for is A/F ratio, nothing emissions related. The catalytic converter is not necessary for anything other than emissions. After doing the TBI mod, my acceleration doubled. Then when I replaced the fuel pump, the acceleration doubled again, as it was becoming clogged in the input. I did a side by side comparison with my modified TB compared to a bolt on Holley TB and the results were VERY close. I gained a slight bit more throttle response with the Holley unit, which is why I didnt buy it from my friends dad.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »
The stamped number in front of the passenger head read

1M1029
4C34

I cant seem to find any info to decode these, except for the first one. It decodes as....

1:Chevrolet M:GM of Mexico 10: october 29: day of the month.
I believe that is the correct number I needed to decode.

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:07 AM »
this site has a lot of info for engine stamping, codes, etc.

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.html

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
Ive tried there, my stamp is in a different format or something.