Author Topic: rockauto rant  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
rockauto rant
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
ok so about 3 months ago i ordered two catalytic converters for my father in-laws ranger. they got to my house fast and i didnt actually try to install them till a month later. let me start on fitment, it wasnt so good. had to force the pipes to line up, i had got both left and right hand banks from the same company so you would think they would line up, wrong. the last thing i had to do was screw in the O2 sensors and the last one the 02 bung was welded 45°s off. so the O2 sensor would be right in the way of the heat shield. removed the heat shield and cut a hole in the heat shield only to find the wires on the O2 sensor are now about 3/8" from the floor.

contacted RA about the situation, they first said i voided any warranty by cutting the heat shield. this was my mistake because i wasnt really clear that the heat shield was on the truck. clarified that it was on the truck and i did nothing to the cat but installed it. they said

"We’re sorry, but the manufacturer’s warranty is for a replacement of the same brand and part number only. It does not include: cash refunds, exchanges for different products, or the reimbursement of labor costs, shipping costs or other expenses. However, because you are a valued customer, RockAuto will cover the cost of one way ground shipping on your new order.
You are not obligated to take advantage of the warranty, but if you would like a replacement, please obtain instructions by going to our Order Status and Returns page. For more information, please see: How do I exchange the bad part I received for a new one?
If you have further questions about manufacturer warranties, please see our Warranties page."

this was about a month ago, i been writing them about every other day asking how to take advantage of the free shipping one way but they have given me the cold shoulder and havnt responded to anything. ive gotten parts before from them and had no issue but here i have spent over 300 on converters and now i have to ship one back on my dime which im my mind is BS when its an manufacturers error not mine.

now i know this is in the fine print about returns and i kind of accept that as that but the communications on their part is what has really ticked me off
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
Re: rockauto rant
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
Their return policy sucks. Out of curiosity, what brand were the parts?
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »
File a complaint with the BBB
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
Their return policy sucks. Out of curiosity, what brand were the parts?

EASTERN CATALYTIC
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2011,ranger,4.0l+v6,1446675,exhaust,catalytic+converter,5808

File a complaint with the BBB
this is prob going to happen soon. i mean i wouldnt take much to just cut the bung off rotate it and reweld. and it seams that would be easier than dealing with rockauto since the part has to come off anyway. but i shouldnt have to do this and since i am doing it i think they should compensate me somehow

all in all i really hate to see how you have to return a bad part to them after a year of use when it has a lifetime warranty. even NAPA has a "you need the original receipt" BS. autozone seams to have the best nation wide policy and all you need to know is your phone number. but i hardly go in there anymore just because of the quality of parts
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:05:16 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:03:46 PM »
I bought a AC Delco reman steering box for my 87 through them, it would not return to center when steering. Took it to a alignment shop, they called the box bad. I had to give the alignment shop the core so they could install their new box on it. I was 2 days out of the return period so I have to eat the core charge and send them back the old box and get another Delco reman. They would not do anything.

I needed brakes for our Porsche Boxster S, go in their web site, they show several brands, order Bosch ones. They don't fit, period. Again out of the return period. They sit on the corner of my desk to remind me everytime  I think I need something from them to cross check numbers though different web sites.

The real problem with the Boxster is nobody but Porsche stocks brakes for it. In a city as big as Phoenix, the right pads were still 2 days out coming from CA. Nobody even lists them.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Here's a good one on RockAuto:

ordering parts from the same warehouse to avoid paying extra shipping cost, when, shazzam! the parts in my cart start changing warehouse origins! not kidding! I was ready to spend about 300 buck on parts, but could not for the life of me get them to ship from one depot. I tried to contact them but no one is home... ended up spending 99.00
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:49:02 PM »
Here's a good one on RockAuto:

ordering parts from the same warehouse to avoid paying extra shipping cost, when, shazzam! the parts in my cart start changing warehouse origins! not kidding! I was ready to spend about 300 buck on parts, but could not for the life of me get them to ship from one depot. I tried to contact them but no one is home... ended up spending 99.00

I have seen this many times when I try to get a larger order together, they get you on the shipping. I shop them against Amazon Prime. On heavier items like drums and rotors that they nail you on the shipping , Amazon Prime usually is cheaper overall once you include RA's shipping.
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »
i mean i wouldnt take much to just cut the bung off rotate it and reweld. and it seams that would be easier than dealing with rockauto since the part has to come off anyway. but i shouldnt have to do this and since i am doing it i think they should compensate me somehow

Why would you do that? Just put an 18mm plug in it and add a new bung where it's supposed to go at this point and git r done.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »
i've had good results with RockAuto (knock on wood......), so i'll likely continue to use them.  Although, i do agree that eliminating their customer service dept was a bad business move;  How much money is going to be saved by earning more angry customers?

Another business i'd like to condemn is Golden Corral   :(

Have they not heard of cleanliness?   Sanitation by any chance?

The ONLY reason i keep going there is the food is pretty good.  But i might stop.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
You probably also know how i feel about Pepboys.

How sad:  Once good, now 3rd rate/ghetto-y.

i'm DONE with pepboys.

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »
You probably also know how i feel about Pepboys.

How sad:  Once good, now 3rd rate/ghetto-y.

i'm DONE with pepboys.

Me too.

I had just completed my black '87 GMC and took it to them for an alignment. I had just replaced all of the lug nuts with the correct brand new stainless capped OEM style ones, they proceeded to destroy them and handed me a bag with 24 stainless caps that no longer fit on the lug nuts. I lost it on them, that was almost $100 worth of lug nuts, ruined. Never again.