Author Topic: Does a 1975 c10 have the evap system for emissions im in az  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Big.Fame1

• New Users
I wanted to know if my truck originally had catalyst converters the charcoal canister and the smog(air pump) rite now it has straight pipes and no canister or smog pump.also it doesn't have the original engine,it has a fresh 383 strocker thats how i bought it.can someone info me in on this? Im only asking because i need it to pass emissions in chandler az.il post pics soon.thanks everyone

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
Re: Does a 1975 c10 have the evap system for emissions im in az
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:51:13 PM »
I had a 76 Blazer when I lived in AZ and they tried to tell me it came with cats.  It never did and it ran off regular fuel.  if it still has the original filler neck it will be a wider opening than the original unleaded fuel vehicles.  IIRC, the smog stuff didn't come until 78 or 79 vehicles.  my 78 does not have a canister.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
Cats started in 1975.  Filler neck is the best way to tell quickly as leaded couldn't be used with cats, but it could have been changed or opened up.  My dad's 1975 had cats on it, he made the opening bigger to put leaded in it and removed the cat...

Offline DesertK20

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21:32 PM »
Grundy insurance, waives the emissions here in Maricopa County.  Why bother with it.
'75 K20

Offline coppersilvy

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
Grundy insurance, waives the emissions here in Maricopa County.  Why bother with it.

How so?

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
Hi Big.Fame1:
From your short description, it sounds as if your truck has been basically stripped of all the OEM emissions equip it originally came with. Trying to find and install all this stuff with a new modified engine would be expensive and difficult to find and integrate into your new engine package. As a first step, I would ask the inspection authorities what are the exact rules and options for you passing inspection in your county in AZ. Does your truck have to pass a tailpipe test?...do you have to have all the original emissions equip installed even if it doesnt work?

For people on the forum to help you determine what the original engine/emissions package that was on your truck you need to provide a little more info on your truck: what are the first 7 characters of your VIN? Do you have the OEM air cleaner cover still?...on these covers there used to be a couple of decals that had the emissions specs for your year. Do you still have the Service Parts ID (options) sheet?...these used to be in the glove box lid...it will at least say what size engine you had.

I believe 1975 was the first year light duty Chevy trucks started getting delivered with catalytic converters. The C-10 light duty emissions engines (all engines except the 454) were delivered with a single catalytic converter. All the other standard emissions equip on your 1975 truck would have been:
1. PCV
2. CCS (OEM Rochester carburetor and OEM HEI ignition)
3. EEC (the charcoal cannister(s))
4. EGR
5. TCS (if you had a manual transmission)
6. AIR (California only, I think)

Regards,
Henry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:09:37 PM »
Do you guys realize this thread is four years old?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »
and that he only had this one post?  ;D
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »
Hi All:
ha ha way too funny...I do not know how I thought this was a new post. I wonder what he finally did to pass inspection.

Not very observant,
Henry

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »
lol good advice nonetheless!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10