Author Topic: Am I being realistic?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Sheriff_of_Rock_Ridge

Am I being realistic?
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
84 k10 Silverado.  305/700r4. Mostly stock.  New paint at some point.  It’s my daily driver.

It’s done really well.  Lived most of its life in north Montana.  1st owner passed away, preacher bought the truck, sold it to a guy that runs a small truck fleet.  I bought it from him.  I had a good feeling it hadn’t been beat up too bad, but also it hadn’t been up kept the best.  Just little things early on like axel seals, coolant lines, no radio.  I was more focused on finding a truck that was unbasterdized.  That’s what it is.

Original motor, newer intake, newer carb block on the front suspension.  I assume a spring flip or something.

Things I want to do in order of priority.
Repair crack frame behind passenger shock (not in the shock mount but in the radius where the frame dips for the shock).  Going to drill, grove, weld then box.

Repair the crack in the frame in the gear box with kit like ORD offers

Rear diff needs new carrier and spider gears

Rear main seal leak, intake manifold seal leak... thinking about swapping out for 350.

New leaf springs on the front at least.  They have shifted and I would like to get rid of the blocks. 

Random rust.  Nothing major. Cab corner on the passenger side.  The wheel wheel part that is closest to the tires on the front passenger and rear driver. 

No deep rust on frame.  Body is straight with a few small dings and normal rust areas.  Interior is not bad.  Electric windows suck to roll down.

Seals on doors and windows and needed.  Triangle windows and seized. 

I have got a bead on a 350 out of a 97 z71.  Has the Vortec Heads.  Built to be carbureted, Machined .30 over.  Mild cam and flat piston heads.  Just a good work truck motor.  It was rebuilt recently.  Long block will cost me 1300.  Still will need intake.  Might just use my water pump pulleys and carb from my 305.

I want to do the engine swap myself.  But never have done it.  But that’s why I bought this truck.  To learn.  Would have loved to long block the motor but I work 80 hrs a week and have a small army of kiddos.  I figure I will learn in the 305. 

I can get some help from friends but would really enjoy not.  I will at first for sure.  Am I being realistic?  Can I swap a motor out in 2 days? Are my priorities right?  I just want a truck with some dang character that I can work on myself. 

Any pointers/literature would be helpful.  I have the Haynes.  It’s good but also general. 

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:45:08 PM by Sheriff_of_Rock_Ridge »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Am I being realistic?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
first thing if youre driving the truck is to get rid of those blocks in the front. theyre a real danger and afaik illegal in all states.

the engine swap might be a little fun, youre going to have a vortec block and i dont think you can just simply swap your parts over on it and the original water pump should be rev rotation.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Your right about the blocks.  It’s incredibly unstable.  Hard suspension, loose steering, it’s gets a little squirrelly.  It was one of the first things I noticed when I bought it.  I have had it looked over and stuff quoted for it from 4 different shops.  I always point it out and they say they don’t think it’s that big of a deal.  Wouldn’t change it.  heck drive it and tell me that.   I move a lot for work so I can’t build a decent relationship with a shop.

I will look into the water pump.  That makes sense.  I think I need a bypass valve on the coolant line also or something.  I’m still gathering info on how to do the swap.  It’s hard to find specific info for 97- rebuilt for carb going into an 84 k10.  I’m trying to find all of the snags before I start.   

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
im sure someone on here has done the swap before. but about the blocks i know we have a few people that knew someone that was killed but someone driving their truck with block on the front. when they go to panic brake the added leverage from the blocks will cause the bolts to stretch and opens up a gap and will spit the blocks out and you will lose steering
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
im sure someone on here has done the swap before. but about the blocks i know we have a few people that knew someone that was killed but someone driving their truck with block on the front. when they go to panic brake the added leverage from the blocks will cause the bolts to stretch and opens up a gap and will spit the blocks out and you will lose steering
Thanks again.  I’ll bump this up on the list.  I was hoping to be able to drop the axel when I swap the motor.  Might just bundle up the work of fixing the crack in the gear box, the front blocks and the motor swap. 

Offline csdineley

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »
I put a vortec 350 in my 87. It's not a hard swap. You don't need a rev rotation water pump as long as you don't use the factory vortec serpentine belt setup. I used all my factory 87 front accessories. Your main issue is there isn't a place for the mech fuel pump on Vortec blocks. So you need an elec fuel pump. My truck came with tbi so I already had pumps. So I just had to add a pressure regulator to get the psi down. Other then that you'll need a Vortec Intake and maybe a new bracket for the throttle cable. Another thing I just thought of. Your flywheel or flex plate will be different from your 84. So either make sure your Vortec comes with on. Or buy one from a 96-00 Vortec.

Can you do it in 2 days, Sure. Make sure you have everything ready to go before getting started.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:59:36 PM by csdineley »
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe, Vortec Headed 350, SM465,Np205 14Bff 4.10

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:45:51 AM »
Thank you for the reply.  Did you have to install a coolant bypass?  I read somewhere about the Vortec motors having coolant flow issues.  Thanks again. 

Offline csdineley

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
Yes I have a bypass. My water pump had a plugged port on top of it. I just removed the plug and put a hose barb there. Then ran a short peice of hose between it and the intake.
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe, Vortec Headed 350, SM465,Np205 14Bff 4.10

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the heads up.