Author Topic: Need help with pervice manual acronyms/abbreviations  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
Need help with pervice manual acronyms/abbreviations
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
Hi:
When studying the 73-78 parts manual, I came across these 3 acronyms I cannot determine what they mean:
1. C.A.C.
2. N.L.
3 N.S.

From the forum tech section, Vile has a acronym table that indicates CAC is "charge air cooler"...is this what #1 stands for?...what is a charge air cooler on a 73-78 truck?

NL and NS seem to be some sort of warehousing and distribution acronym...but I cannot find the definitions anywhere.

The page that has these acronyms is attached.

Regards,
Henry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Need help with pervice manual acronyms/abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
Generally:
CAC = Cab and Chassis
NL = Not Listed
NS = Not Serviced

Acronym list updated.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 02:17:03 PM »
Thanks bd:
I will keep studying the parts book and see if those definitions make sense in the context of the parts I am trying to identify.

BTW, in the parts page I attached, can you explain what is the significance of the middle column of part descriptions?...is it the next higher assembly of the left column of part descriptions/numbers?

I am having a little bit of trouble trying to understand how this part of parts books are configured...

Regards,
Henry

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
Not sure I follow your question.

Columns, from left to right:
1.  vehicle year range
2.  model application and notes
3.  part number
4.  quantity used
5.  original price
6.  part description and notes
7.  parts group number
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
Hi bd:
Your last explanation cleared up my understanding of the parts manual format...thanks again. After studying the parts manual (trying to understand what water pump spacer my truck should have), the explanation of C.A.C. acronym as "cab and chassis" does not make any sense in this context. After digging down some pages into the net, I think C.A.C. must mean "Comfortron Air Conditioning". I see some discussion on the web that the "comfortron" ac and the "four seasons" ac were two different OEM ac systems available for the Chevrolet product by GM in the early 70s. It is not clear to me the differences of the two but it makes more sense that CAC refers to the ac system and not cab and chassis. For example, in the parts book, there are places where the parenthetical description includes:  ...CAB, exc. C.A.C. ...as you see, this makes no sense...any more insight would be appreciated...especially if someone can figure out what the GM part numbers would be for my water pump, pulley, spacer, fan, and clutch from the parts book. My truck specs are: 76 C-20, 350 4BBL, A.T., C60 AC, HD cooling, 2 wheel drive.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
Hi All:
-Concerning the old parts book abbreviation C.A.C., I think bd may be right, it most likely means "Cab and Chassis" and not "Comfortron Air Conditioning"...I have not found any evidence that the subject AC system was ever OEM installed on the squarebody series of trucks.

-Concerning my hunt for the correct fan spacer for my truck, I believe the 73-78 parts book (released in 1983)  has some errors in part numbers for the OEM fan spacers: Specifically, the p/n 3947132 spacer is described as a 2-1/2 inch long spacer, but when you shop on the web for one they are all listed as 2 inch spacers.

Regards,
Henry