Author Topic: flat metal ring behind front seal of 87' 400 tranny of my 87 k2500 Custom Deluxe  (Read 1172 times)

Offline BobAllwine

Swapping out my engine 5.7l tbi in my 87 3/4 ton square body and due to a leak from between the torque converter and the flywheel, I replaced the front seal of the transmission.  When I had it pulled, I noticed a large flat ring that had about a 1/4" wide gap in it.  The transmission was operating well except when it would run low on tranny fluid, which was outrageously fast.  I really wish I had taken a photo of it before I put the new seal in.  I have not put the torque converter or the transmission back together on the the flywheel or to the back of the engine that I have ready to go back into my truck.  I am not at all savvy to automatic transmissions and getting help from my Stepfather(happy father's day to him).  He asked about the ring where he got the new front seal and was told that it wasn't a big issue about that ring.  It is now covered by the new seal and I can't  see or get a picture of it. I don't know if the part of the torque converter that has the notch on each side, that slides the front of the front seal, actually slides inside that ring or if it pushes it back. The gap is not a pre-made gap or cut in the ring since it is at an angle and is not straight, but looks like a jagged break.  Supposed to be mounting the transmission and the engine together tomorrow and dropping them back in my truck.  Then i will be putting in a new wiring harness and after breaking in the motor, I will be driving back to Phoenix from Sacramento, California.  I was bribed with a motor and wiring harness to come and visit family in California.  I no longer like being in California after living here for 6 years.  But an engine and seeing my Mom outweighed visiting this state.  I am an Arizona person through and through.  Gladly take the days of 117 - 124 degrees over living in California anyday.   

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Are you talking about the seal retainer like pictured here?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline BobAllwine

No. Never saw that part on there. Sorry about the delay on following up. Im in california doing this and my computer is at home and i misplaced my tablet at my families home.  Took the tranny to a shop and was told that this is a weep hole that is supposed to be there. Feel a bit foolish about it now. But learned something new.

Offline BobAllwine

I only had the seal i pulled out and the new one that i replaced carefully. Put the tranny bacck on the engine and dropped the new 350 back in my 87 3/4 ton. Ended up breaking the speedometer housing and gear while trying to jack up the tranny to line up the motor mounts. Parts store said the part might be ordered from vintage auto parts with a delayed delivery. Lucky i checked Summit Racing. Part will be here asap and i should be able to drive back to Arizona and get busy trimming palms. Replaced part of the wiring harness also. Cant wait to break in my new motor before i drive 800 miles home. Sent pictures of the motor before i put all the brackets, manifols and the pumps and etc. Sent them too a friend that is rebuilding a 68 Camaro RS. His response was what no blower? I dont pass gas stations when i had it running last. Very thirsty truck. And my foot is heavy after driving in Germany for 2 years when i was in the Army in the 70's. No blower. Will keep my foot out of the pedal for the first 300 miles.