Author Topic: What's in your pocket?...  (Read 21736 times)

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
Re: What's in your pocket?...
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2020, 12:31:30 AM »
Glock G42 fits right in the pocket. Used to carry a butterfly knife for years when I was younger.
Yeah, wish i could get the 42, thats a nice .380. But not in MA, not compliant. Carry a shield .40 instead, pretty darn close. Also, a guitar pick, and a real Schrade Uncle Henry pocket knife, the original USA ones made in NY. I also own some original Old Timers and of course the all time rare big boy, The Uncle Henry Bear Paw, LB7. Not many of these left.

That LB7 is very nice...almost identical to the venerable Buck 110 Folding Hunter.  And, I agree, there probably aren't many originals left.  I think they stopped production of the originals, after Schrade went Tango Uniform, shortly after the millennium.  You can find an LB7, but nothing like yours.  Perfect.

*Most knife guys seem to agree that the Buck 110 is the most imitated knife in history.  I can't think of one knife maker (including Shrade), from the 70's, that didn't try to get a piece of that action.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »
Glock G42 fits right in the pocket. Used to carry a butterfly knife for years when I was younger.
Yeah, wish i could get the 42, thats a nice .380. But not in MA, not compliant. Carry a shield .40 instead, pretty darn close. Also, a guitar pick, and a real Schrade Uncle Henry pocket knife, the original USA ones made in NY. I also own some original Old Timers and of course the all time rare big boy, The Uncle Henry Bear Paw, LB7. Not many of these left.

That LB7 is very nice...almost identical to the venerable Buck 110 Folding Hunter.  And, I agree, there probably aren't many originals left.  I think they stopped production of the originals, after Schrade went Tango Uniform, shortly after the millennium.  You can find an LB7, but nothing like yours.  Perfect.

*Most knife guys seem to agree that the Buck 110 is the most imitated knife in history.  I can't think of one knife maker (including Shrade), from the 70's, that didn't try to get a piece of that action.
I bought that one in the late 90's, has never been used. Once a year i clean the brass bolsters and condition the sheath. I do have a Buck 110 that US Customs issued to me back in 2004, with the black leather sheath. They are both incredible in quality, legendary. Too bad Schrade closed their doors in 2004 after 100 years.

Which came first, the Buck 110 or the Imperial Schrade LB7?
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2020, 03:18:05 PM »
I bought that one in the late 90's, has never been used. Once a year i clean the brass bolsters and condition the sheath. I do have a Buck 110 that US Customs issued to me back in 2004, with the black leather sheath. They are both incredible in quality, legendary. Too bad Schrade closed their doors in 2004 after 100 years.

Which came first, the Buck 110 or the Imperial Schrade LB7?

The Buck had the Schrade by about 10-15 years.  Al Buck created the 110 in '63 or '64.  I believe the LB7 came-along in about the mid-to-late 70's.  Like many Manufacturers, Schrade was trying to capitalize on the popularity of the 110. (*Everyone quickly figured-out that they better have something to compete.)

I've heard that Buck has sold over 15 million 110s, since its inception.
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
What's in your pocket?...
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »
Wow, that 110 sure is popular. I do remember when i was a kid back in the 70's, it seems every man and older teenager had one on their belt, w/ jeans and a white tshirt or flannel shirt and work boots. No man wore flip-flops back then, they didnt go with the buck 110!   Lol..

Oh, and most driveways had a square.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2020, 02:20:32 AM »
My puppy-dog is craving an "after-midnight" snack.  So, since I'm well into the Jack & Diet, I reckon I'll coin a coupla' hotdogs for her, and go about my business...

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2020, 02:23:07 AM »
I guess I'm an "Idaho" knife guy.  ???

About 90% of the time, I have a Buck 110 folder on me.  And, should I choose to have a fixed-blade around, it's usually a TOPS. 8)

EDIT- Yes, the sheath looks brand new.  That TOPS Tex Creek (and its sheath) spend a lot time in my "truck bag"...along with a .45 pistol of some sort (either .45 ACP or .45 Colt).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:31:06 AM by JAH »

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2020, 10:27:37 PM »
Would love to own one of these. The original former Bear Grylls Survival knife. Little pricy...

http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/index.aspx

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2020, 11:34:56 PM »
Would love to own one of these. The original former Bear Grylls Survival knife. Little pricy...

http://www.bayleyknife.com/site/index.aspx

Nice knife.  ~$850 USD, if I did my math correctly.

I can't say that I'd never pay that much for a knife.  But, there are so many wonderful and relatively reasonably-priced blades out there (now), that I'd have a really hard time paying as much for a knife as I could for a decent auto pistol.

It's obvious, from that link, that there are a lot of folks who have absolutely no issue with the price.  Heck, I know guys from other Forums who daily-carry $500 and $600 pocket knives.  I'm happy for the folks selling 'em, and the folks buying 'em.  For me, a $500 pocket knife is just a bit too deep for my shallow pockets.

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »
This is fun. I’m not much for folding knives, but these two are in my back pocket every day that ends in “Y”...:

The Leatherman is their EOD offering. I haven’t had the occasion to use the plastic explosives punch... used to make the hole for the detonator, but I really like the replaceable wire cutters and actually have used the t-shank jigsaw blade a couple of times.
The utility knife is a Gerber and has saved me a lot of time sharpening a folding knife.

Lastly, I’ve got two of these:

You know... for protection... this one will live under the seat of the suburban when I get it done.
My uncle gave me the scabbard, with a MkI blade in it. The scabbard is the more expensive piece these days, finding a MkII blade was easy. This one is the true original, from Camillus, NY, before KaBAR took over the contract.

I bought the KaBAR grip replacement kit and I’m happy with how it turned out. It’s a bit more ergonomically friendly than the original was.

Jeremy

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2020, 02:10:13 AM »
You know Jeremy, if I wasn't a stalker follower of your posts, I would think you were a S.A.W. gunner in the Service.  I never met a S.A.W. gunner who didn't have a well-beaten multi-tool (Leatherman or otherwise) to keep that pile running.

I was never in the Military, but did find myself carrying a 249 Para in the suck, for a short time in '07 and '08.  One of the Recon Marines assigned to my Team handed me my Para S.A.W. and told me, "Make sure you mount a Leatherman or the like somewhere on your kit.  With this thing, you're gonna' need it."

I love seeing guys who only use a coupla' sharpy-type tools, but use them to death.  Me?  It'd take me about three lifetimes to make any of my knives look as well-used as your dailies.  First, I treat my knives better than I treat my only Brother.  And, because I have a few, they only make rotation about once a month or two.

My knives are tools.  I do use 'em.  But (for me), they are also like ties for an Attorney, or purses/shoes for the average gal...accessories.

EDIT- Thanks for sharing.  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:15:37 AM by JAH »

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
I’m a big old boy... had I found myself in the military the chances are are about 100% I’d have been given a machine gun to carry. SAW in this era, M-60 in the previous, M-1919 before that. Maybe I’d get lucky in WWII and get a BAR instead. Either way a recruiter or DI would have me sized from go... “that boy can carry carry heavy things”.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:58:21 AM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2020, 09:56:28 PM »
Yeah JAH, those Bayley knives used to be about $600 usd. I always wanted one, but of course wont pay that much. I have been trying to find one close to it for a long time. Crazy thing, such a basic style and shape, i wish Buck would make a copy. If you or anyone ever comes across a knife similar, let me know.

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:38 AM »
Yeah JAH, those Bayley knives used to be about $600 usd. I always wanted one, but of course wont pay that much. I have been trying to find one close to it for a long time. Crazy thing, such a basic style and shape, i wish Buck would make a copy. If you or anyone ever comes across a knife similar, let me know.

Hey PB,

I didn't ignore your post.  In fact, it sent me down a memory-spiral that kinda' "plagued" me for days, if you will.  I think I burnt a few brain cells trying to access my memory bank.

I shop for knives almost as much as I shop for trucks.  Unfortunately, I'll be 50 this year.  So, my memory is about as long as my....ahem.  Anyhow, suffice it to say that I don't have the memory I used-to.

That Bayley is kind of a rare bird in that it (basically) has a "saw" on the lower edge.  I hesitate to call those "serrations", as they really don't meet my personal criteria for that definition.  That saw portion might be good in the rough.  However, it would keep that particular knife from being a good "all-around" blade as it really couldn't serve for any kind of protection.  Anything you stuck that knife into (whether two-legged or four), for protection, would basically "own" your knife at that point.  ;D

Beyond its obvious downfall (for my uses), that Bayley checks a lot of boxes for me.  When it comes to fixed-blades, I like about a <4.5" blade, with about a max 8.5" O/A length.  That is why I prefer many of the TOPS fixed-blades, as opposed to the Buck 119...along with the "working tool" factor of the TOPS offerings.

Anyhow, upon first viewing that Bayley, my mind initially drifted to an Ontario Knife Company offering.  It's quite different than the Bayley in a lot of ways, but equally as "odd".  It's a sheepsfoot blade, with the "saw" along the top edge.  But, on the plus-side, it ain't a $900 knife.  It's 1095 carbon, which translates to "easy to touch-up in the field".  Ontario makes decent knives.  And, at $40 USD, it oughta' be pretty hard to resist.

I give you the "Journeyman"... (*Plus, it's ad'ied on the bedrail of a truck...quite fitting for this group, in my humble opinion. ;))

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2020, 07:37:12 PM »
Out and about...

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:47 PM »
That’s ok. And those are nice knives. But not even close to that Bayley. I came close once. I’ll try and find it, may have been a Sog.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to know what a Bayley looks like.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:18:27 PM by philo_beddoe »