Author Topic: 83 k10 electrical suggestions  (Read 688 times)

Offline Cdog_1996

83 k10 electrical suggestions
« on: February 21, 2022, 09:32:13 PM »
454 swapped k10 kind of a mess going on with the engine harness, can I wire my alternator directly to battery for simplicity?  My fusible links have been replaced but something isn't working right and I feel like the stock wiring is a bit redundant, does the larger red wire from junction block go straight to starter? I believe the fusible link wire on the junction block goes to alternator but is there a way to eliminate this? Purple wire is to starter solenoid correct ?  Is there a more efficient setup for the junction block and alternator?  Where does the red wire coming out of bulkhead go ? The truck will be a cruiser and not a daily driver. Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 83 k10 electrical suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:03:49 AM »
Most of your questions about the original wiring configuration can be answered by studying the 1983 Wiring Manual.  Yes, there are more efficient ways to connect the alternator but all have pros/cons and require careful planning so as not to lose original functionality or create potential safety concerns (aka, smoke).  It seems you're pursuing the best outcome by understanding how the original wiring is configured... and why... before making changes.  Once you've perused the manual there is plenty of help available to achieve your goals.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)