Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Wriggs86

Getting Started
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »
I just bought a 1986 Chev Silverado. Everything is stock.  I am a beginner when it comes to engine performance and restoration so this is my first project.

I'm looking for some tips in boosting performance and replacing components slowly.  Can anyone tell me the best way to get started.

Thanks

Wriggs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
What is your final goal for the vehicle?  What will its primary purpose/use be?  There are a few other questions that should be answered before you start putting parts on it.  They should be grouped together based on the final goal.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »
This project is two fold.  I'm not looking to make a hot rod at this point.  I want to learn to take apart the engine and identify the parts and their purpose.  Replace some and clean others.

I want the truck to be put back into original shape - Engine, Body, Paint, etc.  

This is a learning project since I have never worked on engines before.  My greatest opstacle is to identify the parts and dig in to learn.

Thanks for the help.

Wriggs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
This is just my personal opinion, but I would get another engine to "tinker" with before making the truck un-usable.  Once you can't drive it, it takes alot of effort to work on it.  I can recommend getting some books like how to build Chevy Small block engines that is availible from most book stores.

There is nothing that needs to be "cleaned" in an engine, except for fuel filters, oil, oil filter, sparkplugs, wires, anitfreeze and aircleaner.  Same goes for other fluids in the vehicle.

If you have something else to drive then that is another story.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »
This truck is not my primary vehicle.  I bought this vehicle as a utility vehicle but have always been interested in restoring older trucks.

The truck won't be on the road for the winter months so I have some time to tinker.  I want to make sure that the engine is running at peak performance come the spring time and that I'm getting the best fuel economy I can.

Once I've satisfied the basic performance needs I would like to dress the engine components up with a chrome kit etc.

Because of my minimal knowledge of engines I'm having trouble prioritizing where to start to get my engine running smooth.  Right now I get some black exhaust upon start up and some rough idling.  However 5 minutes down the road she runs well. Power doesn't seem to be an issue.

Like I stated before this is a project to learn about engines and to improve the performance and life of the truck.

Any advice is always appreciated.

Wriggs  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
I would start with a complete and thourough tune up.  Cap, rotors, plugs, wires and air cleaner and check/set the timing.

I would replace all the rubber hose that is underhood to eliminate any leak problem that could be caused by brittle hose.
Then troubleshoot the engine with new components.
Drain the coolant system and flush the radiator and install new.
Drain the engine oil and change the filter.
Drain the tranny fluid and change the filter
Drain the rear diff fluid and replace the gasket and add new fluids
Inspect the brakes and if the aren't new replace everything:  rotors, pads, bearings drums, shoes and hardware and the rubber hoses.  I would also flush the brake fluid out also.
Inspect the front suspension bushing and replace/rebuild if needed and have it aligned.

Something like that?

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 11:11:00 AM »
That's exactly what I'm looking for.  I was looking for direction to assist in prioritizing the work.  Time and money is always an issue so I didn't want to start with something large with no clue how to complete the task and end up a tonne of cash into it.

Thanks for the help.  Keep it coming with the advice.

Wriggs

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
I've noticed that my passenger side seems to sit a little lower than the drivers side.  I've checked the air pressure and everything seems in order.  The frame is good and the cab and bed are alligned.  

Any suggestions?

Wriggs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »
No car sits perfectly level and all corners.  The nature of a spring causes it to settle over time, and they won't settle the same.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Wriggs86

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »
So what you're saying is "Don't worry about it."  I just wanted to make sure that there isn't something that I should be replacing.

Thanks for the help.

Wriggs

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »