Author Topic: 1977 chevy front parking lights not functioning  (Read 1174 times)

Offline BAMF

• New Users
1977 chevy front parking lights not functioning
« on: June 25, 2021, 03:09:53 PM »
So I'm at my witts end! I need some help. My resources are limited so hopefully I can find some answers on here. I have a 1977 chevy Silverado with a 383 stroker motor and 4 speed transmission, I've only had the truck a couple of months. But I've discovered several things that need fixed. But the one thing I can't figure out is my front and side running lights! They work as turn signals, but when I pull the headlight switch out to the first notch there's no lights except the tail lights?! Hopefully someone on here knows more than me and can assist thank you so much!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:33:36 PM by BAMF »

Offline dusterdude

Re: Someone help!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:59:53 PM »
Can I assume they work when the headlight switch is pulled all the way out?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:47:15 PM »
I believe if you can pull it half way out and you have tail lights and all the way out you have headlamps and tail lights. Then it is working correctly. The first notch is parking lights and the second notch is for your driving lights. Your would expect halfway out to also give you front parking lights in the grill or bumper as well as tail lights.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 10:18:10 PM »
Verify that the front park/turn lamp bulbs are the correct number, 1157/2057, the filaments are not broken or melted, and that the park/turn sockets are not corroded and are effectively grounded to the radiator support and battery negative post.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline BAMF

• New Users
Re: 1977 chevy front parking lights not functioning
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 12:29:51 AM »
No the parking lamps don't cone on at all wether the headlights are on or not, but like I said it's weird because as turn signals they function properly but as parking lamps or running lights or whatever u want to call them they don't work??

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 06:09:50 AM »
If this is putting you at your witts end, then you are in for a treat :D These are the kinds of problems that are easy to fix and don't require grunt work, contorsion, rolling around on the ground, and getting up and down and up and down, back and forth to the tool box, two hours of clean up and 12 beers to accomplish.

All you need is a test light, verify the bulbs are actually good as bd pointed out, and then check to see if you have B+ @ the terminal socket when the parking lights are on verify the ground.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Asphalt Dr

• Parking lot cosmetic surgeon
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 03:58:07 PM »
I’m pretty sure those park lights piggy back off one wire on the drivers side.
Test the wire at the drivers park lamp.
There might be a break in the wire at the socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 r10 swb 350 th350 LS coming soon!