Author Topic: '84 Dash Vents  (Read 3661 times)

Offline pollock

'84 Dash Vents
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:09:09 PM »
I'm installing a new aftermarket gauge bezel and the drivers side right vent is not matching up.  The company says they haven't had any issues with them before, typical...  I'm wondering if the vent is aftermarket to begin with and thus the issue.  The existing vent is recessed at the pivot points and sits on dog ears on the back of the bezel.  New bezel doesn't have the dog ears and the opening is too small for the vent.  1st pic is of the existing bezel and 2nd is the new one.  Thanks

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
Re: '84 Dash Vents
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:31:48 AM »
that looks like the stock OEM vent, so i do believe that the aftermarket like usual got it close but not quite
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline pollock

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »
Ya, i was wondering if they changed them in '84 as i've seen the part numbers change in that year but i couldn't find any pictures of the part.  Sounds like i'll be getting busy with the dremel!  Thanks,

Offline K20Detroit

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 02:00:39 PM »
That looks exactly like the one on my '84.
If you bought it from eBay or with paypal, try for a partial refund due to it not being as advertised (assuming they advertised it as 'oem fit/no trimming required').

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »
That looks exactly like the one on my '84.
If you bought it from eBay or with paypal, try for a partial refund due to it not being as advertised (assuming they advertised it as 'oem fit/no trimming required').
i wouldnt ask for a partial refund. most stores will accept a full refund as long as you pay shipping. might tax on restocking fee but dont cut your own neck
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline K20Detroit

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
It depends on how much he paid. It's generally not easy to get a full refund, but easy to get a partial+keep the product.
Usually with a full, you have to pay to ship it back (insured with signature, costs more than what you originally paid). Once they get it, they determine if it's in the exact condition they sent it, and it's up to them if they want to accept or deny the refund claim at this point.
With partial, you simply send pictures showing how it is not what they claimed and discuss what you feel is the appropriate refund.

I've been in the eBay buying and selling business for about 11 years now. I've never had anything returned or refunded that I've sold, however I've done plenty of returns/refunds from buying.
Sometimes the seller will send a replacement at their expense (in one case, an entire mattress) other cases, a 50% refund.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »
ok so youre saying he'll keep the product and they might issue a partial refund
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline pollock

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:44 AM »
They offered for me to send it back to them and they would make new mold for it for no extra cost but it would take about a month.  I decided to take a dremel to the back and cut it down a little so I could make the dog ears.  The screw holes still didn't completely line up but were close enough to still grab the vent mount.  I bought the panel directly from the company, Classic Dash.  They seem like a pretty good size company and sell some products in Summit Racing so I'm just really surprised this part is having so many issues.  There are still some things that are off that shouldn't be but a little more trimming and it will be close enough for now.  I'll take them up on the custom mold when try to put a double din monitor in the vent and heater control slots....