Author Topic: Valve cover gasket  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Chevymac23

Valve cover gasket
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:02:03 AM »
Hey guys getting an oil leak from the valve cover, trying to replace the valve cover gasket on the inline6 250.
I can’t find any videos online on how I’d go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisD

Re: Valve cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 02:22:36 AM »
Hi,
it's not really a rocket sign to change the rocket arm cover gasket. you have 7 litle screws and 1-2 tubes to air filter assembly and intake manifold.
release the cover, and clean the area where the new gasket will come to very well. Be carefull, don't make scratches, if you have some, use really fine sandpaper (400 or more)to release them. If the area is uneven, you can use sealant (don't know which one is good in USA)but only make a thin and evenly film on each side of gasket area.
Then when you start fixing the screws, don't do one after other. You have screws on 1st, 3rd and 6th zylinder. For example, start with the left at 1st, then the right at 3rd, the left at 6th, the right 1st..... With the odd number of screws it's a bit more difficult than with a even number, but perhaps you can fix the 2 screws at the 3 zylinder together, or you find another sequence. 
And not directly strong at te first round, at first only till it's just fixed, then you can choose, a 2nd for a bit more and then to 45 in-lb (thats what i've found, its 5Nm so it can be right, but I'm not yet really save with your units) or directly the end fix. With the litle screws you allways have to be carefull, i've cracked some and also have seen enough damage threads in the last 25 years. Thats why I allways look for the fixing information.

But if you have the cover released, you can think about to adjust the valves. Here i've found a video some days before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9qd-H2dOyk

Regards
Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:25:05 AM by ChrisD »
1978 Chevy C10 short bed with 250i6 and manual 3speed Saginaw
German us-car/truck newbie

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Valve cover gasket
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
Leaks can come from a previous gasket replacement where the bone head over torqued the little bolts.  ::)

Look for deformed sheet metal at the bolt holes.

The flange should be flat____ no curves downward.

If you have any deviation, turn the cover upside down on a block of wood and tap gently till the edge is flat again.

And be sure not to over tighten.

Oh, and a fresh coat of paint will brighten your day!  8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction