Author Topic: Radiator Fluid Leaking Around Starter?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Patman

Radiator Fluid Leaking Around Starter?
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
So I go out for breakfast this morning and when I get there I notice coolant begining to pool under the truck. I check it out and it looks like it’s coming from around the starter. Ive not had a chance to check it out yet but Im beyond frustrated with this thing. Ive just had the transmission and transfercase rebuilt plus Ive done a good bit more work as well, new tires, shocks, fuel pump, distributor, evap canister, power steering pump, battery, fuel selector valve, drivers side sending unit, and a new carb from summit, plus new headlights and the heavy duty harness for the power windows from was just installed, new door strikers, heat riser valve, new vacuum lines, and plugs and wires. Im sure there’s more...

If Id have to guess, Id say there is a freeze-plug (or what ever you call it) that’s leaking but Im not even sure there’s one in that area of the block. What else could it be? Head gasket? 
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Radiator Fluid Leaking Around Starter?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
Could be as simple as a loose hose clamp.  Check all of the clamps for tightness. 

With coolant puddling in that short a period, the leak should not be too difficult to pinpoint.  Use a radiator pressure tester when the engine is cold and pressurize the cooling system to ~18 PSI, then take your time and patiently look using a good flashlight and perhaps an articulated mirror.  Some possibilities are loose or missing hose clamps, heater/radiator hoses, loose or eroded heater hose fittings, Welch plug, head gasket, intake manifold gasket, water pump or w/p gasket, thermostat housing gasket, even a cracked coolant recovery tank, perforated heater core, radiator or faulty radiator cap.  Just bear in mind that fluids trickle downward and blow rearward.  Wherever you find coolant dripping, concentrate your efforts above and forward from that spot.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »
Mine was leaking from off of the bottom of the lower hose. Clamps were tight and finally figured out it was a crack in the lower hose housing connection on water pump. Replaced water pump and all was well. I have not had a pump with a crack like that before.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 01:24:39 PM »
All good advice; Take your time.

The starter is right below the area where you have alot of plumbing for your heater.

If that area is dry, hope it's not a freeze plug on the rear of the block...
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Patman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 03:18:09 PM »
I think its the intake manifold gasket. Ive spent the last few months chasing vacuum issues so if I gotta take it all apart, nows the time, while I know where everything goes still. That said, the intake is not that big a deal to me.  If its the freeze plug (which it still may be), thats a different issue. I noticed a little oil coming from my inspection plate on the front of the trans a few weeks ago. I was told that the rear main, its a two piece I think, was leaking a little before it was parked. It sat for a couple years and I’ve been tinkering with it for the last 6 or 8 months. If its the freeze plug, then Im just gonna pull the motor and give it a once over, probably in the fall, when it cools down. It’s just getting warmed up and were already over 100 here in the high desert.
85 K10 350, 700R4, NP208, Quadrajet, Long Bed w/ 33’s
All stock except for the motor, used to be a 305.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »
Till then #whatisbarrsleak

Stay cool Patman!

Have a great weekend!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline C-10stepsideBEEF

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 04:58:18 AM »
 x ZZz m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk