Author Topic: air bags n fourlink  (Read 3222 times)

Offline crazyk1le

air bags n fourlink
« on: October 22, 2003, 11:43:00 PM »
i got a 1987 c20 and was wondering about fourlink suspension systems and airbags anyinfo would be great.

are they woht the $
how does a four link improve handling does it improve ride quality, how do air bags work and do they improve ride quality

i know this thing will never be a caddy but...

also if you use the fourlink and airbags can you still tow a trailer

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
re
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 08:41:00 PM »
i've never heard of the 4link system. but i have done sone research on air bag helper springs. the cost would be about $200-300 for each end of the truck (fron and rear) so about $400-600 total (US.). the air bag helpers would increase the hauling capacity and etc.. I've been told its not worth putting in a all air suspention unless you are like a farmer always pulling heavy loads or what ever

Offline captkaoscustoms

Air Suspensions
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »
What are you hoping to accomplish with the change to air suspension?  

If you are wanting to continue towing with the C20, I would use a helper bag system.  Typically the 4link/airbag system is used for dropping the truck.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscusotms.com

Offline problazer

Re: air bags n fourlink
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 04:19:00 AM »
Four link - If you choose a four link rear suspension, Use a triangulated set up. The jist of triangulated is.. it is welded or bolted in to place in a triangle type of set up on the top two links. (hence the name) You DO NOT need a pan-hard bar to  stop you axle from moving side to side with a triangulated set up. A BIG plus. Four link stops axle wrap under hard acceleration, gives a much smoother suspension swing = much nicer ride, gives you roughly 16 inches of suspension travel (before you loose a driveline) and gives you more control of your ride height.

Air bags - Gods gift to suspension. Complete adjust ability, controllable ride (pending on how many lbs of air) and yes, Great for towing. The bags basically control you height loaded and unloaded and help considerably with lifting the saggy ass end of you truck when you got a heavy load.

Personal opinion - Do it!! worth every single penny. I have three trucks (two blazers and a crew cab) all bagged and wouldn't have it any other way. (The crew cab hauls a 20 foot car trailer) so you decide.