Author Topic: problems with new spindles  (Read 6144 times)

Offline JMB

problems with new spindles
« on: August 24, 2003, 04:11:00 PM »
man i hope someone can help me, i just put my 2.5 inch drop spindles on my truck and i cut one coil below the verry top ring on my stock coils,im running 255/60/15 on the front and 275/60/15 on back with a 5inch flip kit...ok all that being said, i let the truck down off the jackstands and its too low the tires are hitting the fenders and just backing up the truck trys to steer itself and im afraid to drive it for fear of fu#$$ng it up,my weels are stock for an 85 1/2ton as far as i know..my truck has an allighnment on it for when i was running 3inch coils but i chunked those could all these problems just be from not having the front end allighned for the spindles? did i cut to much spring ? or have i done something else wrong? could the have sent the wrong spindles? or should i just go to the salvage yard and put in some factory high springs? please if any one knows whats up i need to know ASAP thanks ...

Offline JMB

help me out guys
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 09:41:00 PM »
come on guys really need help here..

Offline Unixluv

Re: help me out guys
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 07:53:00 AM »

Just a guess, but it sounds like you are working 2 probs at the same time.  Just fix one at a time.  I would replace the springs first.  Then deal with any alignment issues.

Offline JMB

thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »
just want to say thanks for responding..i went to a friend of mines salvage yard last night and pulled some coils (stock length) out of a half ton and i guess ill go out side in a while and put them in ..just to give you an idea how low the truck is right now the air dam is in the gravel about a quarter inch (looks sweet ) but non driveable...

Offline JMB

finito
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »
installed some factory coils and now? looks like @#%$ thers at least 4 inches from the top of the 255/60/15 tire to the fender this freakin sucks ..im so P.O. right now i cant see straight ..the springs are completely seated and every thing is tight ...now i havnt got a front end allighnment yet ..will that bring it down any? i think im going to order some 1inch springs from soewhere..any suggestion?? i thought that a 2.5 spindle and 255/60 tire would look sweet and a 1 drop spring would look even better ..someone please tell me whats up..

Offline Unixluv

Re: finito
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 09:49:00 PM »
It seems that BellTech seems to be the best.  I would give them a call and see what they suggest.  JC Whitney carries BellTech stuff, but I couldn't find one to fit.  BellTech's site does list a 1" drop.

www.belltechcorp.com/index.html

Offline DrpdShrty

how?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 06:41:00 PM »
i had the same exact setup as you, tires and drop,  and had NO problems with driving or anything.  Did you cut too much out of the coil?Good Luck

Offline captkaoscustoms

Springs
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »
You cut too much out of your stock springs.  If you removed a full coil, you can probably reach in a spin it around.  When cutting springs, you should remove no more than a 1/4 spring, install and let settle, measure and if necessary, cut a little more off to fine tune.  Springs shouldn't be used if you are wanting to drop more than 2" in my opinion.  The ride will stink.  

If the "new" used springs are sitting higher, you won't get it any lower with an alignment.  That only posistions your wheels correctly.  Have you driven it for the springs to settle?

Chris Lucas
www.captkaoscustoms.com
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Offline 78chevstepside

Re: Springs
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »
I  running a 4/6 drop with  a flip kit and notched frame and 15 inch rally wheels.  I have 2" belltech spindles and  new 2" drop springs. When i droped mine I tried to run  new 275/60/r15 tires on the front. this didnt work. I went to a 235/60/r15  for the front tires .( yes 2 more new tires 6 total) I also had a problem with rubbing  with inside wheel wieghts on the front tires. I also had to grind   and grind  some more of the  bottom lip of the a-arm.  Yes i have been in your spot. I would consider going to a 20inch wheel with low profile tires( iam tryin to  get some use out of my tires ). this would fix alot of your problem. Or buy some new  srings.  I also had to shorten my driveline 1" . This was caused by the changed angle of the driveline. Other people thought i was crazy but it was jambing into the transmission. It would bolt up and work but  when you hit a bump it jambed back into the tranny  My truck is a stepside shortbox. I also had to use a 1/2 wheel spacer.  good luck  jay

Offline problazer

problems with spindles.....
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »
What did you pull your wrecking yard springs out of???
1/2 & 3/4 ton have diffeerent spring rate and height. By the same token what did the donor truck originally have for a motor??? Big block, small block and six banger also have diffeerent spring rates and heights.

Example if you put springs from a six banger truck in a truck that has a big block you get an instant 1.5" drop. The big block weighs in considerably more than a six banger therefore the springs for the six banger truck have less weight to carry than a big block spring. I also agree with chris in the fact ya hacked a bit to much from the get go. It is alot more work to "trim and fit" springs but at the same time you would be driving your truck right now instead of being irritated. (don't forget to trim your rubber bump stops too)  

Offline 79gmcstep

shorten driveline?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »
Hey, 78chevstepside

Obviously you had to cut your driveshaft.
  Do you have a one piece, or two piece shaft?
  I'm thinking of going with a 4/6 also on my '79 stepside. And I have a two piece driveshaft.
I actually called the tech line for Westren Chassis about the shaft length, and was told everything would be OK.
  BUT, when I slide under the truck, it looks to me as though any time  you hit a dip or bump the differential moves up and slightly forward, and the arc of travel would cause the shaft to bind up just like you described.
  The same "Tech Line" also told me that a two piece shaft was no problem either. The front portion is fixed between the trans and the carrier bearing, allowing only the rear portion to move with the suspension.However it seems to me that if there's 1/2 the length of shaft, then there must be twice the pinion angle difference when you move the diferential up 6 inches?
Anyone else dropped a shortbed with a 2piece shaft??

Offline problazer

shorten driveline???
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »
1 or 2 piece driveline does not really make a difference. If ya drop your truck 6" you are gunna have to cut and balance your driveline. The best way to figure out how much to shorten it is.....

1) drop the driveline out

2) with your trucks suspension at rest (normal weight on the back wheels) measure from the center of the rear yoke to the center front yoke.

3) subtract 2" for suspension travel.

4) give this measurement, your driveline and about 60.00 to a machine shop.

5) if it is a two piece driveline you need to worry about the rear section that goes to the resr end.

Offline 78chevstepside

Re: problems with new spindles
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »
I have a 1 piece shaft. I didnt even bother getting a measurement. I went to a driveine shop had  them look at it and discide how much to cut off.  That way there would be no confusion.   then I went home and removed the driveline.  gave it back to the shop.