Author Topic: Toooo Low! Need help.  (Read 2707 times)

Offline 77ChevyC10

Toooo Low! Need help.
« on: January 21, 2004, 01:37:00 PM »
I have a 1977 Chevy C10 Step side that I purchased already lowered. I am not sure the drop, but I have about 1.5 to 2 inches of ground clearance. The rear springs are flipped. The ride is great and I like the look. I am just tired of hitting things! I would like to raise it back up about 3 inches, but how do I judge what parts to buy? How do you measure the springs to determine which to replace with? It seems like I would only need new coil springs, but I don't know what to order.

Offline problazer

too low....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »
Well most people that drop full size trucks that low use a combination of products.....

a) dropped spindles

b) dropped coil springs

c) dropped a-arms

The most common is a spring/spindle combination. If your truck is that low I would assume it is 2.5" spindles with 2" springs. The easiest way to tell what parts are used is to pull a wheel off and look for part numbers or manufactures name name on the part. Most aftermarket coil springs are painted so that is usually a dead give away. If I were in your shoes, I would got o a wrecking yard buy a couple of SMALL BLOCK truck springs and put them in. Make sure they are out of a small block truck because it is a good medium to start from. Chances are you are going to lift the front of your truck about 2" or so. If you want to go higher than that you will most likely have to change your spindles and keep your springs.  Good luck, James

Offline 77ChevyC10

Re: Tooo Low
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »
Thank you for the response. The main reason I want to raise it is that I am hitting things with the lower control arm. If I change the springs, it wouldn't raise the arm would it? It seems from what you are saying that the arm would only raise with new spindles?  

Offline problazer

too low......
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »
Springs will change the geometry of the suspension. I assume that you are hitting the inside pivot point of the control arm where it bolt to the frame. (most common place for dropped chevs to hit). If you raise the truck by whatever means then it will also lift the control arm off the ground a bit. Figure your spring sits between the lower control arm and a fixed spring pocket attached to the frame. When you put a taller spring in it will separate th two pockets more, in turn lifting your control arm away from the ground. So with out the needless babbling....Yes, changing the spring will lift your control arm farther away from the ground. Helping with your "smacking crap cause your truck is too low" problem. Good luck, James

Offline lotopp79

• Registered Users
Re: too low......
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »
if your hitting with your control arms then put in stock sinples and tubukar lower control arms they will alow you to have the ride hieght you want and give you that 1/2 in to an inch you want ot not hit things i have that problem right now up here in maine I have a 79 with a 5/5 drop and those dang stock control arms are dring me crazy