Author Topic: Using lowering spindles?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline pushrod58

Using lowering spindles?
« on: October 05, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »
I have a few questions .#1 Can you still use 15 inch wheels when using a 3 inch drop front spindle?Looks like they would scrape the bottom A arm.#2 What is the lowest drop you can run on rear without notching rear frame?#3 what is the lowest drop that can be used on front without the inside mounting points of bottom A arm getting to low to pavement?I would either like to run a 2/4 or a 5/7 drop.However I don`t want to go so low that I have bad road clearance problem with front suspension.
Where is the cheapest place to get lowering kits?
thanks

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
cheapest lowering components
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »
If you don't mind brand, or if you don't have brand-preference, then go with Summit Racing brand all around. They are the cheapest i've found for new, even compared to some of the stuff on EBay. If you like BellTech components, or just prefer the trusted name, Scoggin-Dickey Performance Parts (www.SDPC2000.com) has the cheapest prices on BellTech. Hope this helps!
-Mike

Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Using lowering spindles?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 12:29:00 AM »
1) Typically on a 3" drop spindle you will need to grind the bottom of the control arm for clearance.  You most likely will have to grind the caliper for the wheel clearance.

2) 4" of drop is about the limit if you ever plan to carry any type of load.  If you are doing a flip you, you have to notch the frame.

3) It really depends on what you think "too low to the pavement" is.  The more the drop, the closer you get.  With a 5/7, the control arms will be about 4" off the ground depending on the height of the tire.  If you want to check, you can just measure your current height of the truck at the control arm and subtact the amount of drop you want.  Keep in mind that the amount of drop from a spring will not be exactly the amount at the lowest point of the control arm since it is change more at the balljoint.  This should get you an idea.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project