Author Topic: 5/5 djm kit  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Bowtietillidie93

5/5 djm kit
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
 :o really considering the 5/5 lowering kit from djm with springs spindles and flip kit. Looking for anyones experience, knowledge, advice and or forewarnings pics of similar drops would be great.

Il be putting it on a 78 big ten bonanza lwb fleetside believe fronts are 15x8 wheels thanks guys.

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
Re: 5/5 djm kit
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
:o really considering the 5/5 lowering kit from djm with springs spindles and flip kit. Looking for anyones experience, knowledge, advice and or forewarnings pics of similar drops would be great.

Il be putting it on a 78 big ten bonanza lwb fleetside believe fronts are 15x8 wheels thanks guys.

A couple things

1: Biggest issue you will run into is the 15X8 wheels and the spindles. The backspacing on 15X8 is 4inches which will cause clearance issues at the lower control arm so you will either have to grind away on the LCA (a quick google search will help you with this) or find 15x7 wheels (they clear the spindles) or anything bigger than a 15 inch rims altogether.

2: The Flip kit; be sure you use the shock extenders, if the kit doesnt have it either find one that does or buy them seperately. Even going this low you have to maintain correct geometry of the suspension, using shock extenders with factory style shocks will help with ride. I suggest you look into KYB gas adjust shocks, or just use regular monroes until you can afford the KYB.

3: Flip kit....again: Cut off the rear bumpstop, trust me...cut.....it.....off. Ride will be so much better otherwise you will be siding on the stops and thats not a smooth ride.

4: Flip Kit.......: you dont need a notch unless youre going 7 inches or lower otherwise there is plenty of clearance.

5:Front Drop: As long as you keep the front end bump stops (dont take them out) you can use regular shocks in the front as well.

6: Total drop: Once you install everything and want to know exactly how much drop you have this is easily done. Measure from the center of the spindle/rim to the bottom of the fender; factory is 19.5 inches from center spindle to bottom of fender. I currently am at 14 inches from center spindle to fender.  You should also know your springs will settle as time passes with final settle around 6 months. so before you decide to go lower cause it doesnt look right, just wait a little bit.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline Bowtietillidie93

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »
One of the better and nearly most clear cut responses ive read to a question like this thanks a lot for the info.  8)

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
One of the better and nearly most clear cut responses ive read to a question like this thanks a lot for the info.  8)

No problem! If you have any questions give me a holler and ill be glad to help.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline 77c10sb

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
i just finish lowering my 77 c10 5/5.  I love the stance however i have 15x8/ 15x10 weld drag lites and the 15x10 are hitting my rear fenders.  U do need to notch the spring plate a little cuz it was interfearing with the lower shock bolt.  I didn't c-notch the frame