Author Topic: what vortec's are the best upgrade or cheapest?  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
what vortec's are the best upgrade or cheapest?
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »
Ok I'm thinking the heads on old man's truck have the truck making low compression ratio, reason?

It's a stock 350 bore, dished pistons, I think they are cast, the heads(forget numbers) are gm replacments with 2.02 and are 76cc I think or 72cc. I also think by tuning the carb with a vac. gauage it has worn valve guides.

ANyway to tell this forsure like some tell tale signs?

ANYWAYS LOL I hear nothing but good things on vortec's, and it's be carb'd and I know I gotta get a new intake for carb, but would anything else need changed? will the headers and hei and everything else work?

Now onto the heads, is there a particular set(casting number) that's best or better then another? Would they all be a good upgrade? What vehicles should I lok for some in? and if it's 305 they'd be the same and work right and not be funky like some of the older gm castings for 305's with like 5xish cc and tiny valves like 1.8x or 1.7x?

Oh I know I need other valve covers too or adapters.

Basically I just see alot of info and want schooled on what would be the best stock vortec's to use, since they'd be cheaper then buying new ones. I would do a valve job and new valve seals as well of course. I don't want to do any port/polish work just clean up and valve grind compound stuff like that.

I figure they'd bump up the CR right, and it'd be good as long as I can do pump gas still.

Now lastly if not vortec's what else would be a good stock gm upgrade since these have lower CR and big valves, would a stock set of 1.94's be better off or should I mainly focus on some lower cc numbers like 64's or so?

The motor has a comp cam 268h cam which has 218 dration at .050 and .454 lift on both sides. duration is on both sides as well.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
Re: what vortec's are the best upgrade or cheapest?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
thanks reading it now.

ok I got confused on the rockers I can't buy a set of complete vortec's and use the rockers that are on them? Is there any need to change the pushrods like different length? Also do I have to get the self aligning rockers to use them on the older engine with a flat tappet cam? That part on the rockers just completely lost me.

well went back and read more and read all the pics and I guess you can use the vortec stock rockers no problems? what about pushrods length and such no problems there?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:45:13 PM by Swims350 »

Offline TexasRed

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »
You can use the stock rockers (the ones that came off the vortec motor) no problem on that 268h and then pushrod length on mine seemed to be stock when I measured with the adjustable one from comp cams. Same SBC pushrod.

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:43:57 PM »
well that would be good if I can track down a set. I'm sure old man won't like it much since he'd have to buy an intake too, but for now what he has is fine.

Offline Kory

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
So pushrods from the vortec motor or from my 76 4 bolt main will work? Whats yalls thoughts on a weland stealth intake. Thats what i have for the vortec heads. Thanks in advance

Offline dsgb610

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »
Kory IO have that intake with my vortec heads. works great

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »
man, brings back memory from people i havnt seen or heard from in a while
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes