Author Topic: transfer case  (Read 4992 times)

Offline clay7

• farm boy
transfer case
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:33:53 AM »
so i went out messin around in 4 low the other day and my t case popped out of gear. not sure why,cause i didnt hit anything or hit any really deep ruts where they tore out the orchard. im not 100% sure what t case it is since my truck body was swapped on to a newer frame. (84 i believe) its a th 400 with an aluminum transfer case. is this a common problem with this style transfer case?
if you cant win,cheat. if you cant cheat,DONT PLAY!

Offline Farm boy

Re: transfer case
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »
That should be a np208. with the little bit i know so far i would check 2 things while you're waiting for a reply from one of the more knowledgeable guys 1) is the shifter hitting the back of the hole in the transmission hump 2) is the shifter adjusted right. it may be that the shifter is at the end of it's travel (ether adjusted wrong or hitting the edge of the hole) and can't let it go all the way into 4lo so it doesn't take much to jostle it out of gear.
K10-350 w/Holley 4bl, 350th, 33-12.5-15s, blue)-parting out
K10-350 w/Holly 4bl, bad th350 swapping to sm465, 33-12.5-15s, CAMO!

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
If it has the correct NP208 shifter assembly then is probably just needs adjusting. The NP208 shifter assembly is a unit bolted to the floor and adjusted by the shift rod under the truck. That sounds like it could be your problem if the cab has been swapped. Easy fix if that is all it is. Look at the shift indicator to see if it lines up properly with the corresponding gear for your first clue. Also check your mount to make sure that is not allowing the transfer case to jostle around.

It's not a common issue for a 208 to jump out of gear as far as I know. Common for a 208 is the chain stretching and hitting the case when it slacks up. It may not be as strong as a cast iron case but still a good case non the less.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline clay7

• farm boy
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »
how do i go about adjusting the linkage?

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »
Loosen the lock nuts at the adjuster. Remove the rod from the shifter linkage. Use a good pair of vice grips to hold the adjusting rod. Turn the adjuster with an open end wrench. Put it back in the linkage and tighten the lock nuts.

Sometimes they are rusted and don't want to move. There is a lot of surface area on the threads, more than a nut. If you can't move it then you will have to remove the whole thing from both the linkage and the transfer case. Put it in a vice and heat it up. Clean the threads up and put anti-seize on it before you put it back on the truck.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline clay7

• farm boy
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »
think im gonna have to do this tomorrow since i fixed my front driveline yesterday. anyone know where i can find a roll bar for my truck? i'd love to find one for a step side so i can swap my step side bed on