Author Topic: A/C from donor to GMC question  (Read 716 times)

Offline ROARING 455

• STRANGE MUSIC!
A/C from donor to GMC question
« on: August 08, 2023, 09:32:29 PM »
So I just scored a nice donor pickup that has a really good running engine with an awesome ac system in it and I was wondering if there are any threads on using everything from the donor for the swap? It’s a 2008 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3 and I want to use everything I can in my 74 gmc engine and all. I want to be able to replace the box that’s on the outside drier and all with the donors if that’s even possible? Biggest reason I ask is cause I’ll have to replace it anyways cause the original system has been sitting out in the weather so long that it’s begun to disintegrate so it now has holes in it. Can post pics and vids if need be fellas thank you for any help thrown this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: A/C from donor to GMC question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 10:14:03 AM »
Those newer systems have most of the components in the cab where ours have them hanging on the firewall "technically" outside the cab.  You can probably make most of it work in the current structrure, but if you are wanting to integrate it as it I don't think it would fit, and if you want to use the factory controls that would be a completely different question.
A buddy of mine used the AC dryer, evap condensor from his 06 donor in his 67 truck but had to modify the factory AC box.

Offline ROARING 455

• STRANGE MUSIC!
Re: A/C from donor to GMC question
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 06:04:58 PM »
Gotcha! I was just kinda hoping someone had fab something and posted it with some pointers. I’ve seen a video on YouTube where this guy uses the AC control module to work with his ls swap and that honestly is what made me wonder if it’s ever been done with the whole system. I guess it’s something I can look into then and hopefully just maybe figure something out. I’ll post what I find out to hopefully help someone out. That’s if I can fab something up tho of course lol. Thanks for your reply and help my man!!