Author Topic: ford 9 inch  (Read 8681 times)

Offline wraprail

• New Users
  • Supreme Member
ford 9 inch
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »

This is in response to question posted by 808SS back in Feb. This is my first post of any kind but i feel I have some info you all might be interested in. I have a 74 swb c-10 and 6 years ago I installed a disc brake 9 inch ford rear end from a 1979 Lincoln mark IV. It has the 5on5 bolt pattern and is one inch narrower than stock. Stock Lincoln disc brakes work perfect, I added steel braided AN-3 brake hoses and the stock Lincoln E-brake cables were easily adapted to hook to my truck cable. I even used the rear sway bar off the Lincoln! Lines up perfect with the truck frame rails. Just welded a L tab on side of frame with a half inch hole and uses the stock Lincoln end links. I had to cut all the stock brackets off the 9 inch. I ordered leaf spring pads from jegs, along with a set of 3 inch lowering blocks and U bolts left over from my mini truck days and lower leaf spring plates from speedway motors that have shock mount. Part #917-20248. You weld the leaf spring pads in the bottom of housing and mount it on top of springs like a mini truck. Add a piece of angle iron for a shock crossmember and shocks mount behind axle angeling in on the top. I had already installed a flip kitw/c notch from belltech that included the nitro-drop shocks which are shorter than stock. These are the shocks i used just moved them. I also took springs apart and used main+1 and overload. I use factory 15x8 steel rayalee wheels and 295/50x15 BFG tires on rear, 3.70 gear w/Detroit locker and T-5 5 speed trans. Had to make a driveshaft and I use a corvette master cylinder, speedway prop valve and a Dan Press  LOCK RESISTANT BRAKE SYSTEM (LBS) to help with rear break lockup. This truck stops on a dime!! Anyways, 6 years (2 sets of stock Lincoln pads) and 80,000 miles later and the rear end/brake swap is still in the truck and never have had a single problem. Total cost was under $500 (even found the Detroit locker at pic-a-part $50 complete w/3rd member) Handles great to. I'm also starting another one with a 96 Impala SS disc brake rear. Hope this is helpful..

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:14:41 PM by wraprail »
"Abuse it till you lose it"

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
Re: ford 9 inch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
Great info. Thank you :o :)
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the how to. You have any pics during the swap, or even after? Welcome as well from New Hampshaa.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 82ChebySWB

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Man, this is extremely helpful information. THANKS for taking the time to post this info.  I have been going over ideas for a rearend swap lately. I'll be needing a 9inch for the power that I'll be putting down...and I want rear discs.

THANKS!
Brian

'82 Chevy Silverado AKA Project "Cheby"