Author Topic: Drivers door hinge spring  (Read 5836 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
Drivers door hinge spring
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
My hinge spring broke yesterday.  the thig actually twisted in half down by the bottom where it curves.  so...  i need a new one, I have some around here somewhere, i have a toold for installing the spring, but i dont see how it will work with the door and or fender on the truck.

I cant find the posts about changing that spring, I really dont wanna have to pull the door loose or anything cuz i didnt make a disconnect for the power and speaker wires that run through the loom from the cab to the door and cannot disconnect them.  ::)  and i need to keep that particular hinge becasue one its really new, and two its painted body color and i dont wanna have to go have a hinge color matched so it looks right.

Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Drivers door hinge spring
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
I would honestly replace the hinge. They have new pins, bushings and spring. The door check won't pop or creak. You can support your door carefully with bubble wrap, a foam pad and a jack.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:21:20 AM »
It can be done with the door and fender in place. Its a big pain in the rear, but I have done it, just need to fish it in there, pry it over, and slide it into place.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
I got it in there.  took about 4 minutes to figure out how to do it, and about 30 seconds to pop it into place.  cool beans.  I cheated a bit though, I had an extra hinge i could practice on on the vise before i started.  ;D
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »
Cheaters never win

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
Cheaters never win

I believe you now...  right after I got that fixed the ignition system took a crap...   >:(  Its ok though, a new distributor and plug wires and its running so smoothly i cant tell if its running at a redlight without looking at the tach.  i didnt cheat this time so maybe im good now.   ;)
Kenny

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
It evens out! ha

Offline big bear

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
haha  thats crazy man. glad all is well for time being.

Offline Westex

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
My hinge spring broke yesterday.  the thig actually twisted in half down by the bottom where it curves.  so...  i need a new one, I have some around here somewhere, i have a toold for installing the spring, but i dont see how it will work with the door and or fender on the truck.

I cant find the posts about changing that spring, I really dont wanna have to pull the door loose or anything cuz i didnt make a disconnect for the power and speaker wires that run through the loom from the cab to the door and cannot disconnect them.  ::)  and i need to keep that particular hinge becasue one its really new, and two its painted body color and i dont wanna have to go have a hinge color matched so it looks right.

Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could provide info on the installation tool you used. Thanks.