Author Topic: type of paint  (Read 3462 times)

Offline J G Davis

type of paint
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Can anyone recommend an easy to spray type of paint? I'm just trying to clean up and get it all one shade,it's my old truck I use for work. In the past I've used lacquer, but that's sort of outmoded now and is a lot of work. I'm not after a show finish, just something presentable and cleaner looking.
                                                  Thanks, John

PS Afriend suggested Nason single stage urethane, although I've never tryed urethane.

Offline Ziptar

Re: type of paint
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
Check Out Zerorust especially if it's a work truck. I have read great things about it on different boards. It gets discussed on the Panitucation Forums alot.

There are only 10 colors available but, Zerorust doesn't contain Isocyanates which means you won't need heavy duty professional handling and filtration stuff. Makes it perfect for our DIY Backyard Guys.

Seems easy to use and can be shot with their "Crystal Coat" if you want shiny / UV protection.

Costs about $50 a gallon from what I have seen. It's what I am going to use when paint / frame off time comes for my truck.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
Single stage urethane or enamel should work.  Urethane typically dries slower than enamel.

I did a quick google search and found this for you...

www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/index.html

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline J G Davis

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »
Thanks fellows, both of those web sites have been very helpful.
              John

Offline bwright

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
I've used TSC tractor and implement enamel with good results.  It's $20/gallon at Tractor supply (don't forget to get the hardner also).

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »
Dont let Blazin catch you suggesting tractor paint on our trucks or you're gonna get an earful. :lol  

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline bwright

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
"Dont let Blazin catch you suggesting tractor paint on our trucks or you're gonna get an earful."

I wouldn't use it on a show car either.  But for a cheap repaint, it works fine.  

Offline flyboy9994

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »
O.K. Gents

I'm going to add my 2 cents... It all depends on what kind of prep you are going to do before you lay down the paint and of course... how much do you want to spend?? It sounds to me like you pretty much just want to sand it down and get something on to make it look O.K.?? If that's the case then I would definitely go with a good quality enamel as it is the most forgiving and cost effective. The single stage urethanes are excellent paints but they cost more and require a lot more prep, i.e. a good primer coat, sanding, scuffing and a good sealer laid down otherwise they have a tendancy to lift, swell and die back after it has dried. I used to paint race cars for the local track and the paint of choice was definitely enamel due to it's good coverage, ease of use and overall end results if you want to do it relatively cheap and with minimum of heartache. Just wet sand your entire truck with 600 grit, wash/dry and degrease, lay down a good sealer and spray on 2 to 3 medium-wet coats of enamel. Let er dry and if needed, get ready to buff... but that's a whole other subject.

FWIW

Randy in Kentucky

Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB