Author Topic: Firewall rust  (Read 3214 times)

Offline 83silverado

Firewall rust
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:09:00 PM »
I have some pretty significant rust in my firewall.  Last owner had a leaking heater core and never fixed it, so it went from there.  Holes through into the engine compartment by the heater/AC entrance, and over by the fuse box is becoming bad as well.

Are there any replacement panels that can be put in, or am I looking at patching the best I can?

Thanks.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Firewall rust
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:16:00 AM »
Time to replace the cab or patch it the best you can. The only way to fix it right would be to strip the under dash area and everything off the fire wall, sand blast, then weld in patches.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 08:59:00 PM »
Doesn't look too tough when its off the frame, but its much more difficult when its on the frame.Anyhow ,heres's some pics to see the shape of the metal.If its up into the cowl its a real pain.

When it gets behind the cowl,you gotta get in behind to patch it.Pain...

Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline 83silverado

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:01:00 AM »
Pugsy, thanks for the pix.  That's a big help.  Too bad you can't fix it for me too!  :lol  

Offline 83silverado

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:21:00 PM »
found a good amount of rust in the cowl, which may have been the real cause of the rust in the first place.  Worst of it was above the AC area, so what I thought was caused totally by a bad heater core was probably mainly started by the leaking cowl....Good news is that it's mainly in the seam, and not much rust damage.   Not so good news for the firewall below, which is basically destroyed.  Looking at rebuilding an 18" square section, including the opening for the AC box.

It'll work, though.