Author Topic: Yo!  (Read 1570 times)

Offline frankentruck

Yo!
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »

Haven’t done this yet so here goes it:

Hey Everyone!

My truck is a 73 heavy k20 with a newer body on it. It’s currently a carbureted small block that’s nothing special. Trans is an TH400 that has HD on bell housing, whatever that means. It has Detroit locker 14-bolt and Dana 60f king pin. The truck is fun, mostly used for dump runs and transporting dirt bikes to and fro. I live in the foothills of the Sierra nevadas near cool, ca. It’ll pretty much crawl around anywhere on my property and never spin a tire.

I’m working on building a parts list for an engine upgrade. I’m kind of far out from any speed shops, so I like to work with what will be easy and predictable. I don’t want to make multiple trips into town for parts and I don’t really have time to hunt for used stuff so here goes the list:

L31-R 4 bolt main vortec roller rocker (just a gm crate 350 long block for 96-99(?) trucks/vans)

1987 pickup gas tank/pump/sending unit

Holley sniper efi
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/550-511

Holley dual sync distributor
https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/distributors/parts/565-100

Couple of remaining concerns:

1- I think my current msd coil “box” may work with sniper efi and distributor but I’m not sure. Efi says it has a coil driver but I thing that pertains to coil near plug applications.

2- I want to go serpentine on the accessories, so I know I’ll be buying ps pump, water pump, alt, harmonic balancer and a/c delete pulley. I wasn’t sure it I could stick with the mechanical no clutch fan or not. Has larger diesel radiator in truck currently. The accessory brackets and pulleys I will be picknpulling.

3- I’ll need an intake manifold, probably the summit vortec jobby will be fine. I’ll need shorty headers, probably get the summit ceramic jobbies with o2 bung and call it good. Sound appropriate?

4- I think the factory fuel pumps in 1987s with a 350 put out 58-60psi. The sniper system says it’s internally regulated to 58.5psi. Will the factory pump work?

5- I’ll need a throttle cable bracket. Suggestions?

do I need to modify anything else ie motor mounts etc?

Anything I’m missing?

I’ll be posting updates as the truck progresses.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk