Author Topic: How do I repair a loose (rattling) tailgate handle?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Combat Veteran

• Square
How do I repair a loose (rattling) tailgate handle?
« on: January 28, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Tailgate works great, but the the handle just dangles in place. Rattles like mad on the road. Searched but could not find the fix. Any help appreciated.
1987  slightly modified Custom Deluxe V10, 350TBI, 700R4,  NP208, 4X4,  4.42 gears,  33" Firestone Destination M/T

Offline Combat Veteran

• Square
Re: How do I repair a loose (rattling) tailgate handle?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:11:29 PM »
What actually holds the handle in the up position? Mine just hangs down and dangles. It operates the tailgate just fine otherwise.
1987  slightly modified Custom Deluxe V10, 350TBI, 700R4,  NP208, 4X4,  4.42 gears,  33" Firestone Destination M/T

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
simple answer is to cut your exhaust off and you wont hear the handle rattle anymore. im not 100% sure on our trucks but i know on my 94 theres plastic bushings that hold the latch release rods in place. they can break and then you have a lot of play in the handle
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
Replace the handle assembly.  The tailgate handle has a non-serviceable return spring built into the backside of the assembly.  In addition, each latch has an integral lock spring.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)