Author Topic: Calling all Carburetor Guru's!!!!  (Read 1600 times)

Offline devildogmech

Calling all Carburetor Guru's!!!!
« on: May 26, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »
Ok.... 79 C-10 with a stock 350/350 set up.

Truck is new to me. It came with a gunked up Edelbrock 1406. I tore the carb down and completely rebuilt it. After fiddling with the step up springs it ran like a champ..... For a day.

Over about 20 miles, it went from driving great, to having a little hesitation, to bogging to having a hard time staying running at stop lights, to dying on me at the busiest intersection in town.... After a minuet it started right back up and drove home, stumbling all the way.

If I throw it into park or Neutral, it smooths right out. This made me think its a Trans Issue.... I checked the fluid and the level is ok.... I haven't dropped the pan....

Now I grew up on Honda's... to me Carburetors are black voodoo magic. I rebuilt Cummins 903's in the Marines.... I know engines and Fuel Injection, but not Carb's....

Does this sound like a Carburetor problem or a Trans Problem?  I'm leaning towards a Trans issue, but hey, who knows.

TIA
William
Be good, but not too good.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Calling all Carburetor Guru's!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »
could be a many things from carb, timing or vacuum issue.

i would start at the basics and check for vacuum leaks then check your timing and on my truck i set base at 12°-16° then hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum not ported like the emissions sticker says

ill also find you some post on the basics of timing and carbs
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline devildogmech

Re: Calling all Carburetor Guru's!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »
Well, I'm an idiot.

I went back and double checked stuff. Turns out the engine ate 2 quarts of oil in about 100 miles. I topped it up and it immediately ran better,...... If i'm LUCKY its valve seals (im not lucky) if not, its rings......

Anyone got a spare 5.3/4l60E swap laying around?
 :o
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:43:06 PM by devildogmech »
Be good, but not too good.